Corporate Finance & Securities: Overview
Osler is consistently recognized as one of Canada’s leading corporate finance firms. Our clients include major Canadian corporations, well-known multinationals, entrepreneurial and growth oriented businesses and Canadian and global investment banks engaged in capital markets activities in Canada, the United States and internationally.
We advise on private placements, public offerings and alternative listing methods such as reverse takeovers and CPC transactions. We have extensive experience with financing methods such as initial public offerings, conventional bought deals, overnight marketed offerings, multijurisdictional disclosure (MJDS) offerings, discrete shelf prospectus offerings of equity and debt and medium-term note (MTN) programs. Our debt practice covers a broad spectrum of products that includes investment-grade debt, commercial paper, high-yield debt, “Maple” bonds, securitized and asset-backed debt, covered bond programs, convertible debt and hybrid and novel products. We are also known for our expertise in regulatory matters relating to corporate finance transactions, including advising on trading, registration, settlement and compliance matters.
- Osler has consistently been at the top of Corporate Finance legal advisor league tables published by Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg, Mergermarket and Infomart over the past six years, with the following distinctions for year-end 2013:
- Infomart ranks Osler as the #1 law firm as Canadian legal counsel to the underwriter on equity and debt offerings (value of deals) and the #2 law firm as Canadian legal counsel to the issuer on equity and debt offerings (value of deals). It also notes that Osler was counsel to the issuer on 4 of the top 10 largest public debt offerings in (value of deals)
- Bloomberg ranks Osler ranks as the #3 law firm as underwriters’ counsel for Canadian equity offerings (value of deals) and the #2 law firm as issuer’s counsel for Canadian equity offerings (value of deals).
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers ranks Osler in Band 1 for Corporate/M&A.
- IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms ranks Osler as Tier 1 for our work in capital markets, with sources saying that Osler is “particularly strong, especially on the debt side” and competitors saying that the “group continues to stand out.”
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory ranks the practice in Toronto as Most Frequently Recommended.
- The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada lists several lawyers in this practice.
- The Best Lawyers in Canada “Top-Lists” Osler in Ontario for Corporate Law.