Energy (Oil and Gas): Representative Work
Examples of oil and gas projects and transactions in which our lawyers have advised follows:
Energy Projects, International & Offshore
- Phoenix Energy Holdings Limited, a Canadian subsidiary of PetroChina, on its partnership with TransCanada Corporation and its affiliates to construct, own and operate the Grand Rapids Pipeline System and its commitment to ship on the system.
- Nexen Inc. in the sale of a 40% working interest in its shale gas assets in the Horn River, Cordova and Liard basins in northeast British Columbia to a consortium led by INPEX Gas British Columbia Ltd. and in the creation of a strategic partnership to develop those shale gas assets.
- Apache Corp. on Canadian aspects of their acquisition of a partnership and corporation holding oil and gas exploration and production properties located in Western Canada, from BP Canada Energy.
- Talisman Energy Inc. in the creation of a strategic partnership with Sasol to develop the Farrell Creek assets in their Montney shale play in north-eastern British Columbia and in aspects of Talisman’s acquisition of BP Exploration Company (Colombia) with Ecopetrol S.A.
- KM LNG Operating General Partnership and Apache Canada Ltd. in all aspects of its acquisition, joint ownership, development, procurement and construction of the proposed Kitimat LNG Project and Pacific Trail Pipelines.
- Hibernia, Terra Nova, Hebron – Ben Nevis and Hibernia Southern Extension Development Projects.
- Grand Banks Regional Transportation System and the East Coast Transportation System.
- BG International on its acquisition of certain oil and gas interests offshore Trinidad and Tobago from Canadian Superior Energy Inc.
- ConocoPhillips in their agreement to sell their 9% interest in Syncrude to subsidiaries of Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Company.
- China Investment Corporation in connection with its purchase of a 5% interest in the equity of Penn West Energy Trust and its agreement with Penn West to form a partnership and make an investment to develop certain bitumen assets located in Alberta.
Oil Sands/Heavy Oil
- PetroChina in its development of the MacKay River Commercial oil sands project, including all aspects of the design, engineering, procurement and construction of the Central Plant and related pipelines and facilities, and in its development of the Dover oil sands project in a joint venture with Athabasca Oil Sands Corp.
- Canadian Oil Sands Innovation Alliance (COSIA) on the organization, structure and development of an alliance of oil sands producers focused on accelerating the pace of improvement in Canada’s oil sands through collaboration and innovation.
- Total E&P on the formation of a strategic oil sands alliance between Total E&P Canada Ltd. and Suncor Energy Inc. encompassing the Fort Hills mining project, the Joslyn mining project and the Voyageur upgrader project.
- Northern Blizzard Resources Inc. on its agreement to acquire conventional heavy oil assets located in the Lloydminster area of Alberta and Saskatchewan from Nexen Inc.
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited in its successful joint proposal with North West Upgrading Inc. to the Alberta Government to construct and operate a bitumen refinery near Redwater, Alberta through a partnership to be owned 50/50.
- Canadian Oil Sands Trust on its acquisition of 1.25% interest in Syncrude from Talisman Energy Inc.
- ConocoPhillips on the formation, with EnCana, of two joint ventures, a Canadian upstream oilsands partnership and a U.S. downstream refining LLC.
- Total E&P Canada Ltd. on the acquisition of interests in the Surmont oil sands project from ConocoPhillips Canada Ltd. and Devon Energy and related joint operating and other arrangements.
- Shell Canada Limited in its acquisition of BlackRock Ventures Inc. and on the Athabasca Oil Sands Project joint venture with Chevron Canada and Western Oil Sands, including the negotiation of commercial and construction agreements and regulatory and environmental approvals for Muskeg River and Jackpine Mines.
Oil & Gas
- Talisman Energy Inc. in its proposed sale of a portion of its Montney natural gas business to Progress Energy Canada Ltd. for $1.5 billion.
- Parallel Energy Trust in its agreement with Bravo Natural Gas LLC to acquire the remaining 41% interest in the West Panhandle Field for USD$189.4 million.
- PetroChina Company Ltd., a subsidiary of China National Petroleum Corp. (CNPC), on its acquisition of a 20% interest in Royal Dutch Shell PLC’s Groundbirch shale gas project in north-eastern British Columbia.
- BG Group plc on the sale of Canadian assets to Progress Energy Limited.
- Talisman Energy Canada and its affiliate, Fortuna (US) L.P. in their disposition to Crescent Point Resources L.P. and TOG Partnership, an affiliate of Tristar Oil & Gas Ltd.
- Connaught Energy Ltd. in its disposition to Glamis Resources Ltd.
- Black Gold Energy LLC in its disposition to Niko Resources Ltd.
- Keyera Energy Limited Partnership in the acquisition of Spectra Energy’s Nevis and Brazeau River natural gas gathering and processing facilities.
- Shell Canada Limited in connection with its take-over of Duvernay Oil Corp.
- National Petroleum Company S.A.E., an affiliate of Citadel Capital Company in the acquisition of Rally Energy Corp.
- A subsidiary of Dana Gas PJSC on its purchase of the common shares of Centurion Energy International Inc., the owner of assets in Egypt.
- Pioneer Natural Resources Company on the sale of its Canadian subsidiary to Abu Dhabi National Energy Company PJSC.
- ConocoPhillips on its sale of subsidiary corporations to Pengrowth Energy Trust.
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited in its acquisition of Anadarko Canada Corporation.