Intellectual Property: Overview
Osler is home to “a spectacular IP department.” Our top-ranked Intellectual Property team is renowned for its diverse strengths, including excellence in IP litigation; expertise and innovation in patent and trade-mark prosecution; portfolio advising and management; and unmatched experience in helping realize the value of IP portfolios in mergers, reorganizations and other business transactions.
Osler’s Intellectual Property team is also “one of the most sought-after teams in Canada for general IP litigation” – notably, three members of the team are among a select group of Canada’s “top cross-border litigators.” This international reputation for excellence in Canadian IP litigation has been built on our winning trial record representing some of the world’s largest generic pharmaceutical companies; technology, biotech, life science, electronics, consumer products, entertainment, sports, food services, franchise and many other international and domestic innovators in resolving their ongoing patent, copyright and trade-mark disputes in Canada. Clients, large and small, come to us initially for our deep legal knowledge, counsel and scientific and technical expertise, but they repeatedly recommend us to colleagues and other professionals because we offer the following:
- Client Service Excellence: Unmatched responsiveness, accessibility and service.
- Project Management: Meticulous and efficient management of matters.
- Corporate Experience: The expertise of a core group of the IP team that spent years working in the corporate environment, which enhances our ability to provide practical, efficient advice and service.
- IP Technology: Long-standing and continuing investment in IP technology, which allows us to respond accurately and rapidly to clients on all questions related to ongoing or historical matters.
Osler’s Intellectual Property Department offers IP expertise and service across a breadth of specialty areas, with significant expertise in areas as diverse as biotechnology; aeronautics; chemistry; and mechanical, chemical and software engineering. Ask us about:
- Copyright litigation
- Patent litigation
- Trade secret litigation
- Trade-mark litigation
Patent, Copyright and Trade-mark Prosecution
- Due diligence
- Transactions involving IP
- Licensing and other commercial services
- Industrial design
- Patent portfolio management
Copyright and Trade-mark
- Domain name litigation and UDRPs
- False advertising
- Osler has also recently been shortlisted in copyright for Managing Intellectual Property North America Awards.
- Our IP Group received a Tier 1 ranking in the Copyright category in Canada in the latest Managing Intellectual Property’s World IP Survey.
- According to sources quoted in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers, our lawyers “tailor their legal advice to our business realities. All of them are extremely intelligent and creative in their approach.”
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory cites Osler as being "repeatedly recommended" by our clients and peers for expertise in IP matters.
- The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada names a team member as among a select group of Canada’s "top cross-border litigators."
- The Best Lawyers in Canada recognized four of our lawyers in IP law.
- Four members of the team are featured as “IP Stars” in the latest Managing IP Handbook.
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 continues to recognize members of the team as world leading patent practitioners ; members of the team have also been recognized in IAM 250 World Leading Patent Litigators and IAM Life Sciences 250: The World’s Leading Life Sciences.
- The latest World Trademark Review 1000 ranks six members of the team as leading trade-mark lawyers.
- Benchmark Canada has acknowledged members of our team as leading IP litigators in Ontario.
- Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides recognized a member of the team in Women in Business Law (Trade Mark Canada).