Mergers and Acquisitions: Overview
Mergers and acquisitions transactions, whether large or small, have inherent complexities that need to be clearly understood and properly addressed. Experienced legal counsel is essential on all M&A transactions and for all clients, ranging from local start-ups to global conglomerates. With decades of experience advising successfully on M&A transactions, Osler can be trusted to provide clients with the right level of legal advice required to lead a successful deal, for several reasons:
- Involvement in High Volume and Range of Transactions – We are effective at advising on and staffing all types and sizes of transactions, be it for domestic, cross-border or multi-national companies. We have designed and implemented innovative legal structures that have revolutionized the M&A landscape and continue to provide valuable solutions to our clients.
- Breadth and Depth of Related Expertise – Our leading M&A practitioners are complemented by top-ranked expertise in tax, competition/antitrust, securities/regulatory, banking & financial services, litigation, pensions, employment/executive compensation and all other specialized areas that are key to effecting a successful M&A transaction. Taxation, for instance, is integral to accomplishing strategic M&A initiatives and no other Canadian law firm has been so consistently recognized for the excellence of its tax practice.
- Client Focus – We understand the business imperative behind a transaction and the business environments in which our clients operate. Our “client first” approach pervades every aspect of our firm culture and we bring that approach to the way we structure a deal, negotiate a deal, mitigate risk and staff and efficiently manage files.
- U.S./Cross-Border Legal Services – We offer seamless legal services north and south of the border. Our Canadian and New York offices are regularly involved in complex, multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions, providing strategic, innovative advice. Our distinct cross-border orientation enables us to represent U.S. companies doing business in Canada as well as Canadian companies expanding their businesses to the south.
Our M&A Group has consistently ranked as one of the leading legal advisors in Canada and among the top legal advisors globally:
- For over a decade, Osler has consistently been given the highest possible ranking (Band 1) by Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers for Corporate/M&A. The 2014 edition of Chambers Global noted that “they are available 24 hours a day and are creative in their approach” and that “they have excellent lawyers who provide incredible support.”
- For over seven years, Osler has also been recognized by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as one of the three “most frequently recommended” Toronto firms among the Mergers and Acquisitions practice.
- For over six years, Osler has consistently and repeatedly placed at the top of transaction league tables, with Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg and Mergermarket frequently ranking Osler first among Canadian law firms for the value or volume of announced or completed deals. In 2013, Osler ranked as the #1 law firm for Canadian deals (by value) and the #3 law firm for Canadian deals (by deal count) by Mergermarket. Osler was ranked by Bloomberg among the top 5 M&A legal advisors for global announced deals (by value) and as the #2 law firm for Canadian announced deals (by value). Osler was also ranked by Thomson Reuters as the #2 law firm for Canadian announced deals (by value) and the #3 law firm for Canadian completed deals (by value).
- The 2014 edition of IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms recognizes Osler’s M&A group, with one client observing that “Osler has supported us very well over the years. The issues we deal with are very complex, usually ground breaking and so we look for the top lawyers.”
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2014 ranks Osler as the #1 firm in the Ontario, Toronto and Ottawa markets in Mergers and Acquisitions, by total number of ranked lawyers.