Frank practises business law with an emphasis on franchising, licensing, intellectual property, marketing and distribution law. His practice focuses on advising Canadian and international franchisors, and others involved in franchising, on all aspects of Canadian franchise legal matters, particularly high level strategic business and relationship matters. He also serves on the boards of directors of several leading franchisors in Canada. In 2009, the Canadian Franchise Association honoured Frank with its Lifetime Achievement Award which is presented “to an individual who has achieved excellence throughout their career in franchising.” Previously, Frank was appointed Co-Chair of the Uniform Law Conference of Canada Commercial Law Strategy project on a uniform franchise law and in August 2005 the Uniform Franchises Act and Regulations were adopted to serve as a model franchise law for all of the provinces and territories of Canada.Frank is a trained mediator and arbitrator and a panel member with ADR Chambers in Toronto, Ontario where he acts as chair of a specialized panel of neutrals who serve as mediators and arbitrators in franchise disputes. Frank is the founder and past Chair of Osler’s Franchise Group, as well as past Chair of Osler’s Intellectual Property Group.
Frank has authored and spoken on franchise matters for many publications and programs in Canada and internationally throughout his career. As well, he has appeared on several syndicated television programs and radio programs concerning franchising. Leading books and publications include:
- Virtual Round Table: Franchise Law 2013, Corporate LiveWire (October 2013).
- ADR Institute of Canada, Inc./International Chamber of Commerce, 2013 ADR Conference – Gold Standard ADR: Interesting Niches for ADR – Franchising (October, 2013)
- 2012 Pitblado Lectures, Winnipeg, Manitoba – Manitoba’s New Franchises Act – Something Old, Something New – What to Expect (November, 2012).
- Canadian Franchise Guide (Managing Editor, 1983- current, Carswell, publisher).
- Essentials of Canadian Law - Franchise Law (2005, Irwin Law, publisher).
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, Fundamentals of Franchising – Canada (Chapter on Franchise Disclosure Issues in Canada, 2004).
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, International Franchise Sales Laws (Chapter on Canada, 2007-present).
- ABA Franchise Law Journal, Ontario’s Franchise Legislation – What Have We Learned? (Fall, 2009, co-authored with Jennifer Dolman and Andraya Frith).
- International Distribution Institute – Country Report on Canada (IDI, 2009).