Shawn is national Co-chair of the firm. His practice is comprised of energy, mining, environmental, regulatory and aboriginal law matters. Shawn advises companies in a variety of industries, including: the energy, mining and chemical industries. He has been engaged in a number of international assignments including advising the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the development of its oil sands regulatory system. He has also advised Canada’s largest energy industry associations (CAPP, CEPA and EPIC) in respect of regulatory reform for energy project development. Shawn has appeared in major regulatory proceedings before the: Energy Resources Conservation Board; Alberta Utilities Commission; National Energy Board; Federal Environmental Assessment Joint Review Panels; Ontario Energy Board; Alberta Environmental Appeal Board and various other appeal boards. He has successfully represented clients in the development of multi-billion dollar projects including oil sands projects, shale gas projects, LNG projects, hydro-electric projects, offshore developments, and mining projects. He has also advised clients on their obligations to aboriginal groups and negotiated resource development and impact benefit agreements with Aboriginal groups on behalf of resource developers.
Shawn has published numerous articles and lectures extensively on environmental assessment and regulatory proceedings, aboriginal rights, public consultation and risk communication. Highlights include:
Review of Federal Government Environmental Law Reforms - Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, Environmental Law Forum, January 17, 2013.
Dealing with Indigenous Communities: Law and Best Practices for the Osgoode Certificate in Mining Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, February 21, 2012.
Regulatory Approvals, Processes and Best Practises for Canadian Energy Projects: From Field to Export, North Asia Natural Gas Export Mission, June 2011.
- Métis Consultation Plays Key Role in Land Use and Natural Resource Development Planning, Osler Update, September 1, 2009.
- Implementation of Alberta Land-Use Framework on the Horizon, Osler Update, June 16, 2009.
- The Accord Acts 20 Years Later, The Canadian Petroleum Law Foundation, East Coast Seminar in Oil and Gas, September 2007 (with J. Thrasher).
- Oil Sands Development in North America, Institute for Energy Law, 58th Annual Oil and Gas Conference, February 2007.
- Oil Sands Mining in Northern Alberta, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, 50th Annual Conference, July 2004 (with J. Courtright).