Shawn is national Co-chair of the firm. His practice is comprised of energy, mining, environmental, regulatory and aboriginal law matters. Shawn advises companies in a variety of industries, including: the energy and mining industries. He has been engaged in a number of international assignments, including advising the Federal Republic of Nigeria on the development of its oil sands regulatory system and acted for the Government of Vietnam and PetroVietnam on the development of their offshore regulatory regime (funded by the World Bank). He has also advised Canada’s largest energy industry associations (CAPP, CEPA and EPIC) in respect of regulatory reform for energy project development. Shawn has appeared in major regulatory proceedings before the: Alberta Energy Regulator (Energy Resources Conservation Board); Alberta Utilities Commission; National Energy Board; Federal Environmental Assessment Joint Review Panels; Ontario Energy Board; Alberta Environmental Appeal Board and various other appeal boards. He has successfully represented clients in the development of multi-billion dollar projects including oil sands projects, shale gas projects, LNG projects, hydro-electric projects, offshore developments, and mining projects. He has also advised clients on their obligations to aboriginal groups and negotiated resource development and impact benefit agreements with Aboriginal groups on behalf of resource developers.
Shawn has published numerous articles and lectures extensively on environmental assessment and regulatory proceedings, aboriginal rights, public consultation and risk communication. Highlights include:
- Equivalency: Regulatory Flexibility in a Changing World, Arctic Technology Conference, March 2015.
- Federal Government Introduces New Legislation to Enhance Pipeline Safety; Osler Update December 18, 2014 (with Sylvain Lussier Ad. E., Jack Coop and Heather Weberg).
- Court Denies Challenge to NEB Jurisdiction over Access to Municipal Lands: Osler Update December 12, 2014 (with Maureen Killoran Q.C., Heather Robertson and Jeremy Barretto).
- AER Approves Prosper OSE Program Following Regulatory Appeal; Osler Update December 3, 2014 (co-authored with Sander Duncanson).
- Chapter 16: Environmental Law in Canada: Doing Business in Canada, December 2014.
- Regulatory Approval for Energy Projects: Doing Business in Canada, December 2014.
- Court Dismisses Request That NEB Review Upstream and Downstream Effects of Pipeline: Osler UpdateOct 20, 2014 (with Maureen Killoran Q.C., Jeremy Barretto and Thomas McNerney).
- Significant Changes to the Alberta Energy Regulator Rules of Practice; Osler Update Nov 28, 2013 (co-authored with Sander Duncanson).
- Significant Changes to the Regulatory Approval Process: Osler Update, Nov 5, 2013. (co-authored with Martin Ignasiak).
- Aboriginal Consultation Levy Act Passes Quickly Through the Alberta Legislature: Osler Update, May 28, 2013 (co-authored with Terri-Lee Oleniuk).
- Aboriginal Consultation Levy Act Introduced into the Alberta Legislature: Osler Update, May 9, 2013 (co-authored with Terri-Lee Oleniuk).
- Review of Federal Government Environmental Law Reforms – Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, Environmental Law Forum, January 17, 2013.
- Preliminary Strategies for Managing Aboriginal Risks, iComply for Mining in Canada, No.4, September 2012 (co-authored with Sander Duncanson).
- Dealing with Indigenous Communities: Law and Best Practices for the Osgoode Certificate in Mining Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, February 21, 2012.
- Regulatory Approvals, Processes and Best Practises for Canadian Energy Projects: From Field to Export, North Asia Natural Gas Export Mission, June 2011.
- Métis Consultation Plays Key Role in Land Use and Natural Resource Development Planning, Osler Update, September 1, 2009.
- Implementation of Alberta Land-Use Framework on the Horizon, Osler Update, June 16, 2009.
- The Accord Acts 20 Years Later, The Canadian Petroleum Law Foundation, East Coast Seminar in Oil and Gas, September 2007 (with Jack Thrasher).
- Oil Sands Development in North America, Institute for Energy Law, 58th Annual Oil and Gas Conference, February 2007.
- Oil Sands Mining in Northern Alberta, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, 50th Annual Conference, July 2004 (with John Courtright).