Canadian, U.S. and international businesses and law firms come to Osler’s Competition/Antitrust and Foreign Investment Group with their most challenging problems and business critical transactions – and Osler answers with our blend of outstanding expertise, exceptional and efficient service, and seamless support to clients of all sizes and in all industries.
Our lawyers are a seasoned group of “specialists” – we don’t dabble. This deep specialization allows us to identify issues, be exceptionally responsive and provide outstanding service in an area that is often highly complex and critical to the success of key business decisions.
- As the pre-eminent mergers and acquisitions firm in Canada, our competition/antitrust lawyers cut their teeth on transactions. Our ability to rapidly and effectively navigate regulatory processes, and game-changing amendments to the Canadian competition environment, is unsurpassed in the Canadian market.
- Having been involved in virtually everyCanadian and cross-border competition-related class action, Osler offers strategic insights and counsel to clients facing or managing competition litigation.
- The ability of Osler’s team to draw on the substantial experience of a former Senior General Counsel at Canada’s Competition Bureau and Justice Department enables us to advocate and negotiate effectively with investigators and prosecutors, and achieve positive results for our clients faced with investigations or potential prosecutions. Our clients value this expertise and insight.
- We are leaders in implementing best practices in project management and process improvement. This is critical as the Competition Bureau has been building its litigation capability, has significantly increased its use of formal powers to require burdensome document production in merger matters and to obtain court orders for production in civil investigations and has increased enforcement action leading to litigation before the Competition Tribunal and courts.
Our team’s expertise is formidable and deep. Ask Osler’s competition/antitrust lawyers about:
- Abuse of Dominance and Monopolization
- Antitrust Counselling and Compliance
- Cartels and Bid Rigging
- Class Action Litigation
- Competition Litigation
- Competitor Collaborations/Strategic Alliances
- Criminal Defence
- Government/Regulatory Investigations
- Investment Canada Act and Foreign Investment
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Misleading Advertising and Deceptive Telemarketing
- Pricing Practices and Distribution Strategies (price maintenance, tied selling, refusals to deal)
- Search and Seizure
Osler’s Competition/Antitrust and Foreign Investment Group is recognized in the world’s leading surveys: Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers 2013 ranks Osler as one of the leading Canadian firms, noting that clients consider Osler’s Competition/Antitrust and Foreign Investment Group’s lawyers to be “experts in the field.” Osler is also listed as “consistently recommended” by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2013.