Jason is a certified labour law specialist with extensive experience in advising employers and boards of directors on all areas of labour and employment law, including corporate transactions, executive compensation arrangements, collective bargaining, change of control agreements, privatizations, restructurings, outsourcing, alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, legislative compliance and privacy. He has represented employers before labour relations and employment tribunals and various courts including the Supreme Court of Canada. He also conducts discrimination investigations and works with employers in developing proactive employment policies and procedures and defends corporate employers and individuals in health and safety prosecutions. Jason has gained deep and comprehensive experience over his 30 year career with Osler. Jason is a former two-term elected member of Osler’s Executive Committee and is the Chair of the Firm’s National Employment and Labour Department.
Jason’s expertise and industry knowledge has been recognized by many independent groups, including:
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2013: Employment & Labour
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2013: Labour and Employment Law
Jason has spoken extensively, was an instructor of the Masters Programme at Osgoode Hall Law School and is the co-author of two employment law books on absenteeism and substance abuse. Other recent highlights:
- Ontario Employers Need to Revisit Crisis Management Procedures in Light of Court of Appeal Ruling, Osler Update, February 2013 (with Colin Kelly).
- Safety Inspection Blitzes for Industrial and Construction Sectors, Osler Update, January 2013 (with Allan Wells and Lorraine Chan).
- Restrictive Covenants in Employment Contracts: Canadian Approach, Practical Law Company, 2011.
- Workplace Investigation Tactics and Techniques, November 2009.
- Effects of the Economic Downturn: Meeting New Challenges, Canadian Labour Board Law Conference, October 2009.
- Canadian Institute of Employment Law, Chair, November 2007.
- Executive and Restrictive Covenants, Canadian Corporate Counsel, June 2007.
- Executive Compensation, Benefits Canada Program, May 2007.