Get your renovation details in a contract

Roger Gillott

May 2, 2014

Bob Aaron,


I’m about to do a major renovation in my home. What kind of paperwork do I need?

Excellent answers to this question were provided by Toronto lawyer Roger Gillott, a partner with the firm Osler Hoskin & Harcourt, at the Law Society of Upper Canada’s annual Real Estate Law Summit.

Last month’s program is the largest annual gathering of Ontario lawyers and Gillott provided many practical tips about what homeowners should be aware of when planning a renovation — and how lawyers can help them in advising on the contracts.


Gillott set out the essential elements of every contract between homeowners and contractors. [And he pointed out that] it is it is important for the homeowner to look into the contractor’s reputation with online reviews and registered complaints with Consumer Protection Ontario’s online Consumer Beware List.

To read the entire article, click here