Apr 22, 2022
Osler is pleased to announce that the firm has been recognized by the 2022 Canadian Law Awards. These awards, presented by Lexpert, recognize Canada’s leading law firms, in-house legal teams, individuals and landmark deals that reflect excellence in the legal profession.
The firm received nine Excellence Awards for our work on the following “Deals of the Year”:
- Brookfield acquisition and privatization of Inter Pipeline (M&A Deal of the Year)
- Osler advised BMO Capital Markets, investment banker to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P., in Brookfield Infrastructure’s C$13.5-billion acquisition of Inter Pipeline Ltd. This was one of the most notable takeover battles in Canada in 2021 and was the second-largest Canadian target M&A transaction announced in 2021.
- Burnaby Hospital redevelopment (Infrastructure & Projects Deal of the Year)
- Osler is advising EllisDon Capital as the borrower in connection with the Burnaby Hospital redevelopment. The project, located in Vancouver comprises a new build inpatient and outpatient tower and includes renovations and an expansion of the support facilities building, renovations to the nursing tower, renovations to the existing steam boiler plant and demolition of the west wing and cascade building.
- Canadian Pacific Railway – Kansas City Southern merger (M&A Deal of the Year)
- Osler advised the underwriters to both the Canadian and U.S. offerings. The Canadian Pacific Railway Company completed its US$8.45-billion offering of notes in Canada and the U.S. The proceeds from the offering will be used to fund the acquisition of Kansas City Southern, a U.S. Class 1 railroad based in Kansas City, Missouri, and will create the first U.S. – Mexico – Canada rail network.
- Cenovus Energy – Husky Energy merger (M&A Deal of the Year)
- Osler advised Husky Energy in connection with its merger with Cenovus Energy. The transaction will combine Cenovus and Husky in an all-stock transaction valued at $23.6 billion and the combined company will operate as Cenovus Energy Inc. The combined company will be the third-largest Canadian oil and natural gas producer and the second-largest Canadian refiner and upgrader.
- Empire Company acquisition of Longo's (Mid-Market Deal of the Year)
- Osler advised Longo Brothers Fruit Markets Inc. in its agreement for the sale of 51% of Longo’s to Empire Company, with an option to put the remaining interest in Longo’s to Empire in tranches beginning after the fifth anniversary of the closing. The purchase price for the initial 51% interest is based on a total enterprise value of $700 million.
- Henvey Inlet Wind LP refinancing (Infrastructure & Projects Deal of the Year)
- Osler advised Pattern Energy Group LP, together with its partner Nigig Power Corporation, in its refinancing of the 300 MW Henvey Inlet wind generation facility located in Ontario. The power generated by the facility is sold to the Independent Electricity System Operator under a 20-year power purchase agreement and operates entirely on the Henvey Inlet First Nation Reserve Lands.
- Newmont purchase of GT Gold (Mid-Market Deal of the Year)
- Osler advised BMO Capital Markets as financial advisors in connection with GT Gold Corp.’s acquisition by Newmont Corporation for approximately US$311 million. The acquisition will also expand Newmont’s portfolio to include the along Tatogga project located in the Golden Triangle district of British Columbia.
- Northern Private Capital purchase of MacDonald Dettwiler and IPO (Capital Markets Deal of the Year)
- Osler acted as legal counsel to the underwriters in connection with the $400-million IPO of MDA Ltd., an international space mission partner and a robotics, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer.
- Telus International IPO (Capital Markets Deal of the Year)
- Osler advised Telus International in its US$1.06-billion initial public offering. This deal represents the largest technology IPO in Canadian history and the fifth-largest IPO in TSX history by total proceeds raised.
The Canadian Law Awards will take place in person on May 19, 2022. For more information, please visit the Canadian Law Awards website.