Do you have a fresh idea that could transform how the lawyers of tomorrow will deliver legal services? We want to hear from you and put $1,500 in your pocket.
At Osler, we are big on innovation. We embrace disruption and see it as an opportunity to transform what we do and what we sell. And we know innovation can come from any perspective.
The Osler Future Innovators Award showcases the ideas of bright, creative and forward-thinking students who celebrate change and embrace the impact of innovative thinking on the legal industry.
We’re tapping into our future by making an investment in the form of 14 awards of $1,500 to the first-year law students who submit the best ideas.
Share your innovative thinking
Tell us how you would transform how lawyers deliver legal services. Your idea could help us shape the law of tomorrow.
Who can apply?
The competition is open to 1L students (or 2L of a 4-year program) from any Canadian law school.
How do I apply?
1. Create a quick selfie video showcasing your idea.
- All entries should be in the form of a video (roughly 2-3 minutes), where you answer the following question:
How would you transform the way the lawyers of tomorrow deliver legal services?
- Your idea can focus on process, technology, or people. It can focus on the industry generally or a specific area of law or type of legal service. Big or small idea, we want you to share it.
- Videos should be no longer than 5 minutes in length, with no fancy editing (i.e., we’re interested in your ideas – not the production value!).
- You can apply individually or team up with one or more classmates.
2. Upload your video to YouTube.
- Upload your video to your YouTube account and include the video URL in your online entry form below. (If you don’t have a YouTube account, you can create one for free by visiting YouTube.com.)
- Note: you can set your video to “unlisted”, so it’s only available to Osler (or anyone with whom you choose to share the link). If your video is selected for an award, it will be published on Osler.com and may be promoted by Osler.
3. Complete the entry form below.
What are the key dates?
- January 21, 2019 – Competition opens for submissions
- March 15, 2019 – Submission deadline
- April 1, 2019 – Winners announced
How will the winners be announced?
Winners will announced on Instagram. Follow us at @oslerstudents.
Who are the competition judges?
Winners will be chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of individuals from Osler’s National Students Committee and Osler’s Innovation Council. Submissions will be judged on factors including, but not limited to: effective communication of idea; creativity/originality; potential impact on client service; and feasibility of implementation.
Important things to know
- By participating, you acknowledge that nothing prevents Osler from using any ideas submitted by you or on your behalf. Do not submit ideas or information that is confidential.
- Participants will be eligible for an award only if each individual whose image, voice or idea included in a video agrees to point 1 and consents to the video being published on Osler.com and promoted by Osler.