Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting Service, the Accounting Services Coordinator is responsible for providing timely, efficient, and professional accounting services to the Firm.
- Provides accounting services such as processing payment requisitions, accounts payable invoices, cash receipts, petty cash claims and cost recoveries
- Able to process assigned accounts payable responsibilities in a timely manner dependent on capacity levels
- Initiates payments of AP invoices via a pre-determined payment method (eg. cheque, wire transfer, EFT, credit card)
- Completes daily bank runs which includes making deposits to Firm bank accounts, certifying cheques and picking up mail or cash for petty cash replenishment
- Responds to general inquiries from both internal and external sources about policies, procedures, deadlines, and status of accounting-related transactions
- Organizes filing and storage of related supporting documentation pursuant to Firm and external audit standards utilizing a combination of different software systems, such as ExpertImage and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Adheres to strict internal control policies to mitigate internal and external risks facing the Firm
- Correctly records various commodity taxes and requests tax registration numbers/documents from suppliers when needed
- Handles confidential materials and documents
- Performs other duties as required
Education and Experience
The position requires a college diploma in a business discipline and/or a minimum of one to two years of accounting experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Knowledge of computer applications, such as: Microsoft Suite – Excel, Word, Outlook and Teams, Aderant Expert – financial system used for posting daily transactions, Adobe Acrobat pro – merging files for scanning/filing purposes and ExpertImage – storage and image tracking software
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills are required to communicate with a number of various contacts internally and externally, at varying levels within the organization(s)
- Organizational and time management skills are necessary to work with detailed-oriented tasks and to efficiently multi-task
- Attention to detail and accuracy with numbers
- General knowledge of commodity taxes and recoverability rules
- Ability to productively work remotely, if required
- Bilingual in English and French would be an asset
The incumbent will provide coaching, mentoring and leadership to an integrated team that is responsible for selecting, managing and sustaining technology investments and ensuring that the Firm drives value from the investments it has made using data to drive business decisions and action.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.