Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
We are currently recruiting for an Account Specialist to provide legal secretarial and billing & collections support to the Firm's Emerging Companies Practice. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual with the ability to produce high volumes of quality work under tight deadlines. This position requires an excellent multi-tasker with strong legal secretarial skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will have excellent client service and organizational skills.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
· Perform legal secretarial support activities such as preparing correspondence, and documents, filing, revising and finalizing material pertaining to file openings and file closings.
· Provide highly courteous and professional customer service for internal and external client requests
· Handle confidential materials and documents
· Perform other duties as required to achieve firm objectives
· Participate in the coordination, processing and assignment of a high volume of prebills to legal professionals via Prebill Viewer
· Ensure billing activities comply with client guidelines and protocols, and firm approval policies and procedures
· Accurately complete bills and meet billing deadlines; not limited to write-off/defer prebills, transfer time and disbursements
· Respond to billing inquiries and billing transactions with the assistance of the billing and collections team
· Ensure billing discrepancies are addressed promptly and seek assistance from the billing and collections team when needed
· With the assistance of the Billing Partner's legal assistant and the billing and collections team, coordinate contacting of clients for payment of outstanding accounts over 60 days, while adhering firm collection policies
· Diarize client discussions for further follow-up as necessary with internal resources; schedule regular meetings with legal professionals regarding client accounts
· Identify issues and develop solutions with respect to problem accounts in conjugation with respective legal professional
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date client files and collection notes via the Aderant collections tool
· Prepare and review ad hoc analysis for clients, lawyers and management as requested
Education and Experience
This position requires the completion of a Community College Business or Secretarial program plus a minimum of three to five years' experience working in a professional services or legal environment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational skills required to effectively multi-task
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Knowledge of legal procedures and practices
- Solid drafting and proofreading skills
- Detail-oriented and analytical thinking required to conduct effective research
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls/emails please.
Closing Date: April 26, 2021