Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Support Services, the Application Support Technician is responsible for providing assistance, guidance and technical support to internal customers in the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the Firm’s computer systems, software and hardware. The successful incumbent will work as part of a Service Desk team, functioning as the first point of contact for end users to report computer hardware, application software and desktop technology related inquiries and problems. Provides 1st computer support solutions in accordance with the Firm’s troubleshooting procedures and customer service standards.
- Receives requests for service via telephone and e-mail from end users in the Firm’s Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Montreal and New York offices
- Provides 1st and 2nd level computer support to end users, troubleshooting application software issues as well as PC hardware and printer issues, LAN/WAN issues, imaging, scanning, off-site computer users, MAC, seminar room projectors, etc.
- Assists Application Support Technician in troubleshooting intermediate to complex helpdesk issues
- Analyzes, defines and researches the end user’s problem, identifies root cause, and implements/recommends solutions to appropriately resolve issue to the end user’s satisfaction
- Provides appropriate escalation of support requests for expedient resolution
- Follows the Firm’s established service standards to ensure consistent quality service is provided to internal customers
- Logs information concerning help desk calls into a database system to track history of calls and successful solutions for future reference purposes
- Identifies recurring problems/trends; notifies and works with team to reach root cause solutions
- Provides 1st level guidance and problem-specific training to Firm users on the use of computer hardware, application software and desktop technology
- Performs upgrades on equipment, software application installations and maintenance as well as hardware configuration
- Provides home and remote computer support as well as installations for Firm users as requested
- Works rotating day and evening shifts; provides 24/7 after-hours support to Firm users which requires carrying a cell phone and pager (on a weekly/monthly rotating schedule)
- Abides by Firm policies including the policy on confidentiality; maintains confidentiality of all computer-based information related to the Firm, its clients, and its employees
- Performs other duties as required
Education and Experience
- College diploma in a computer-related discipline
- Successful completion of the Microsoft Certified Professional or similar training with a minimum of one year experience in a technical customer service or help desk role
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable
Knowlwdge and Skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft operating systems, MS Office application software and other Firm application software, and basic knowledge of networking technology
- Excellent verbal communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Advanced analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong written communication skills and ability to document troubleshooting reference materials
- Flexibility to work rotating day and evening shifts with occasional weekends and Holiday shifts
- Willingness to carry pager 24/7 on rotating basis (i.e. one week per month)
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing date: December 13, 2021.
No agencies or phone calls please.