Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for an Billing & A/R Coordinator in our Vancouver office. The position will assist in all phases of client billing and collection, including bill preparation, submission, follow-up and communication with clients and Partners related to bill preparation, submitted bills via billing platforms, subsequent payment and outstanding bill collection. This is a detail oriented position with an emphasis on tenacity, time management, technical tasks and interpersonal skills.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant billing and/or collection experience, preferably at a professional services firm, law firm or equivalent combination may be acceptable
- Proficiency with computers including advanced Excel skills and LEDES management. Experience with Aderant software would be an asset
- Prior experience with TyMetrix, Serengeti, Counselink, or similar platforms is preferred
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written), focussed listening, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Research and problem solving skills with the ability to exercise judgement to resolve technical issues
- Attention to detail, organized and time management skills along with the ability to balance daily work
- Positive attitude, patience, resilience and a sense of humour
- Working within a team-oriented environment that encompasses all aspects of the day-to-day billing and collections operations
- A compliance and procedural mindset is required
- Responsible for processing pre-bills received via Pre-Bill Viewer; handles monthly billings for clients. Submission and coordination of third party billing through various billing platforms
- Maintaining accurate and timely client and matter information with regards to billing and receivables in computerized billing system and vendor platforms
- Follow-up on rejected invoices with billing lawyers, legal assistants, billing team and the client
- Be actively involved in the billing process improvements including developing innovative, proactive and efficient ways to improve quality, process and customer service
- Provide back up and support for team members when needed
- Follows up with Manager, Billing Team, Partners and Clients as appropriate regarding overdue accounts
- Handles client inquiries and resolves discrepancies. Maintains accurate records of all communications in the system. Responsible for maintaining good relations with internal and external clients
- Other duties as assigned including assistance with special projects. Participate in the implementation and testing of systems upgrades and billing/collection software
- Available to provide technical billing support and guidance, acts as subject expert and provides training to new team members
- Resolves any unresolved or partial payments received from clients
- Abides by Firm policies and handles confidential materials and documents.
Education and Experience
- College diploma specializing in IT/Accounting along with a minimum 1 year collection experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please apply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to: HRVancouver@osler.com