Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Billings & Collections, the Billing & AR Coordinator is responsible for assisting in all phases of client billing, including bill preparation, submission, appeals, follow-up and communication with clients and Partners related to bills. This is a detail oriented position with an emphasis on tenacity, time management, technical tasks and interpersonal skills.
- Reviewing bills using Aderant and Prebill Manager and submitting invoices to through email automation, ebilling hub or client’s legal billing software
- Maintaining accurate and timely client and matter information with regards to ebilling and receivables in computerized billing system
- Follow-up on rejected invoices with billing lawyers, legal assistants and the client
- Train timekeepers and legal assistants on the client’s billing requirements
- Handles client inquiries and resolves discrepancies. Maintains accurate records of all communications in the system. Responsible for maintaining good relations with internal and external clients
- Resolves any unresolved or partial payments received from clients
- Be actively involved in billing process improvements including developing innovative, proactive and efficient ways to improve quality, process and customer service
- Provide back up and support for team members when needed
- Other duties as assigned including assistance with special projects. Participate in the implementation and testing of systems upgrades and billing/collection software
- Available to provide technical billing support and guidance, acts as subject expert and provides training to new team members
- Abides by Firm policies and handles confidential materials and documents
Education and Experience
The position requires College diploma or University degree specializing in Finance/Accounting along with a minimum two years billing experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- High proficiency in computer software programs such as, spreadsheet programs and database systems
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written), focused listening, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Strong research and problem solving skills with the ability to exercise judgement to resolve technical issues
- Attention to detail, organized and time management skills along with the ability to balance daily work
- A compliance and procedural mindset is required
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.