Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and business professionals have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Reporting to the Manager, Client Billing Services, the Billing Operations Specialist is responsible for assisting in all phases of intake and client billing requirements. This is a detail-oriented position with an emphasis on tenacity, time management, technical tasks and interpersonal skills.
- Review new business intake requests and assign work to appropriate team members within the prescribed SLA.
- Review engagement letters, outside counsel billing guidelines and document billing related details where appropriate to ensure billing compliance with client requirements.
- Ensure accurate and timely set up and maintenance of client/matter rates and budgets in both the accounting system and 3rd party ebilling vendor sites, as well as special fee arrangements in the Alternative Fee Arrangement (AFA) database.
- Liaisons with clients on rate submissions through electronic billing systems and resolving outstanding issues regarding same.
- Responsible for submitting client accruals on a timely basis.
- Monitor monthly and annual rate setup and submission deadlines for e-billing clients, liaise with pricing analytics team to obtain new rates, and ensuring submission is completed prior to deadline.
- Expert in rates management structures in Aderant that supports the billing process and provides guidance to the billing team.
- Manage all communications / enquiries for billing rates, special arrangements and outside counsel guidelines through generic engagement mailbox
- Maintain and update training documentation pertinent to administration of billing rate and special billing arrangements.
- Communicate and interact effectively with peers, management, external vendors, and contacts at all levels of the organization.
- Responsible for assisting in special client/matter billing and pricing initiatives as assigned.
- Responsible to identify business requirements that will need technical development to support the initiative and to create or update processes.
- Utilizes software to monitor systems, develops quality metrics and actionable recommendations.
Education and Experience
The position requires a College diploma or University Degree specializing in a business discipline, and a minimum of three years of relevant experience. Prior work experience in finance / billing / project management function within the legal or professional services industry is preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Highly analytical problem solver and mastery of advanced data functions (pivots, vlooks, formulas, etc.).
- Very high attention to detail and accuracy with numbers, while maintaining efficiency.
- Knowledge of SQL would be an asset but not required.
- Ability to communicate your insights clearly, both in writing and verbally, to a diverse audience, accounting for varying subject matter backgrounds.
- Comfort with synthesizing large data sets, sourced from differing systems.
- Experience with eBilling systems (e.g. Legal Tracker, CounselLink, Tymetrix, etc.)
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with Accounting, Finance and other business units.
- Ability to perform at high levels in a fast-paced ever-changing work environment and successfully adapt to changing priorities and work demands.
- Proactive approach to work, with mindset of continuous innovation and improvements.
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.