Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Reporting to the Manager, Billing Accounts (EHG), the Billing Specialist (EHG) is responsible for assisting in all phases of client billing and collection, including bill preparation, submission, follow-up and communication with clients and Partners and subsequent payment and outstanding bill collection. This is a detail oriented position with an emphasis on tenacity, time management, technical tasks and interpersonal skills.
- Prioritize and execute tasks required to improve realizations by ensuring work-in-process inventory is billed regularly and in formats expected by our clients
- Co-ordinate the execution of tasks with practice group Legal Assistants, Partners and others in the broader Billing and Collection department
- Manage client relationships on behalf of the firm and/or individual Partners to expedite the payment of invoices by:
- Reviewing engagement letters, outside counsel billing guidelines and billing arrangements related details where appropriate to ensure billing compliance with client requirements
- Managing client inquiries through to resolution
- Maintain detailed records of client communications in the system
- Assist Partners with the preparation of documents to close client transactions through the firm’s trust accounts
- Process pre-bills received via Pre-Bill Viewer and handle monthly billings for EHG Partners
- Draft and finalize client invoices for distribution to clients
- Oversee and coordinate month end billing and collections. Deal with escalation of billing & collection disputes and act as first point of contact before escalation
- Follow up with Manager, Billing Accounts, Partners and clients as appropriate regarding overdue accounts and WIP using various reports and systems
- Initiate contact with client regarding outstanding receivables. Handle client inquiries and resolve discrepancies and maintain accurate records of all communications in the system
- Resolve any unresolved or partial payments received from clients
- Maintain good relations with internal and external clients
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree in a business discipline, including some accounting and finance courses with a minimum of 3 years of billing or accounts receivable experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- To be successful in this position, the successful candidate must be solution-oriented and able to work under pressure
- Professional mannerisms for effectively communicating with legal professionals and client
- High proficiency in computer software programs such as, spreadsheet programs and database systems
- Maturity to interact with senior members of the Firm, in order to earn their trust and confidence
- Experience with Aderant software would be an asset
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written), focussed listening, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Attention to detail, organization and time management skills along with the ability to balance daily work
- Positive attitude, patience, resilience and a sense of humour
- A compliance and procedural mindset is required
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, which includes a requirement to work partially in the office.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.