Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
We are currently recruiting for a Bookkeeper in the Toronto office. Reporting to the Manager, Financial Control, this role will be responsible for reconciling, balancing, and assisting in the preparation and reporting of financial information for the Firm.
- Ensures month-end accounting activities are completed such as various balance sheet accounts reconciliation, deposit accounts reconciliation, preparation of journal entries, and review and replenishment of petty cash for all offices
- Completion of daily activities including reviewing reports from on-line banking software and ensuring bank postings are correct, determining the allocation of daily wire transfer and working with the Billing & Collection team on any unresolved or partial payments received
- Completes bank account reconciliation of operating and trust bank account
- Reviews financial statements for an assigned office to analyze actual to budget expense variances. Prepares adjusting journal entries to reflect corrections
- Processes weekly payments through wire transfers and Electronic Funds Transfers for suppliers and employees, including confirming vendor banking details
- Reviews and reconciles transactions related to the Firm’s travel program, such as flight pass usage
- Reviews conference and continuing education related expenses for all legal departments of a particular office to ensure pre-approval was received and expenses are within budget
- Responsible for cash receipt cancellations, reallocations and return of electronic payments
- Assists management with various financial reports, audit requests, system upgrades/implementations and other ad hoc duties, as requested
- Analyze and recommend improvements to various financial reporting practices
- Abides by Firm policies and handles confidential materials and documents
- Performs other duties as required
Education and Experience
The position requires a college diploma or a university degree in a business discipline and a minimum of two years experience in finance & accounting. Experience in the legal industry is an asset. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy with numbers
- Knowledge of accounting principles and concepts
- Computer application knowledge (Aderant, MS Excel, banking software, or other accounting system)
- Oral and written communication and interpersonal skills are required order to communicate with a number of various contacts internally and externally
- Time management skills in order to efficiently multi-task
- Sound judgement and analytical skills required for reconciliation of accounts and preparing detailed analysis of financial statements
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working mostly remote, and subject to public health guidelines we are actively planning for a gradual return to office. We anticipate that a hybrid work arrangement will be in place for this role, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls please.