Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
We are currently recruiting for a Conflicts & Business Intake Coordinator in our Conflicts, Records & Risk Management department in our Toronto Office.
Description: The Conflicts & Business Intake Coordinator is responsible for file opening, file amendments and conducting conflict of interest searches for the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver and New York offices. This is a detail-oriented position with focus on time management skills, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Hours: 10:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Conduct conflict of interest searches accounting to the Firm’s procedure
- Search multiple databases to identify potential conflicts of interest using established procedures and adhere to flag lists and special instructions
- Prepare conflict reports by reviewing, retrieving and summarizing relevant information from multiple databases
- Open new files in accordance with the Firm’s procedures
- Receiving and reviewing requests for file openings
- Ensure accuracy of information submitted
- Revise incorrect information as required
- Review requisition forms for amendments
- Maintain and update the “critical date reminder” system
- Responsible for providing accurate conflicts-related information based on information from multiple databases
- Maintain Firm’s client management system and update related information
- Follow procedures and policies governing the Firm’s file opening and conflict management activities and responsibilities
- Perform related administrative, clerical and other duties as required
- Maintain confidentiality of Firm and client information
Education and Experience
College diploma in Information Management, Information Systems & Design, Library Science, or Library and Information Technology plus two years of business office experience in a customer service role and/or research. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted. Legal industry experience is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced research and problem solving skills with the ability to conduct conflict of interest searches and exercise judgement to resolve related issues
- Experience in database searching and interpreting data
- Accuracy of work product and strong attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable and show initiative while working in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment
- Advanced time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task among detailed-oriented tasks and prioritize conflicting demands
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Exceptional negotiation and teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various groups
- Strong interest in technology and strong computer literacy; experience with MSOffice, new business intake applications, accounting software and database applications; experience in technical troubleshooting
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls/emails please.
Closing Date: April 23, 2021