The Conflicts and Records Management Department is responsible for new business intake, records and risk management services Firm wide. We currently have a full time opening for a Conflicts Information Specialist in our Toronto office. This position is responsible for new business intake/new matter openings by researching, collecting, entering, and maintaining information in the Firm’s client management system and for making certain potential and/or real conflicts of interest are identified and reported.
Hours of Work: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT. Also, the successful candidate will work on a rotating schedule as on-call for the weekend. Some overtime may be required, as necessary.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Conducts conflict of interest searches according to the Firm’s procedure including: searching multiple databases to identify potential conflicts of interest; preparing conflict reports by reviewing, retrieving and summarizing relevant information from multiple databases; and sending search results to the legal professional for file opening decision.
- Opens new matters in accordance with the Firm’s procedures including: receiving and reviewing requests for new matter openings; ensuring accuracy of information submitted; revising incorrect information as required; and reviewing requisition forms for amendments.
- Provides accurate conflicts-related information based on information from multiple databases.
- Maintains Firm’s client management system and updates related information.
- Follows procedures and policies governing the Firm’s file opening and conflict management activities and responsibilities.
- Performs related administrative, clerical and other duties as required.
Education and Experience
The successful candidate will have a Community College diploma in Information Management, Information Systems & Design, Library Science or Library and Information Technology, plus, two years of business office experience in a customer service role and/or research. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted. Legal industry experience is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
Strong interest in technology and advanced computer literacy; experience with MS Office, new business intake applications, accounting software and database applications; experience in technical troubleshooting.
Advanced research and problem solving skills with the ability to conduct conflict of interest searches and exercise good judgement to resolve related issues in a timely manner.
Accuracy of work product and strong attention to detail.
Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and show initiative while working in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment
Advanced time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task among detailed-oriented tasks and prioritize conflicting demands in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment.
Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills.
Exceptional negotiation and teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various groups; Work effectively as a team member as well as independently; Balance team and individual responsibilities
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to:
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
P.O. Box 50, 1 First Canadian Place
Toronto, Ontario M5X 1B8
Closing Date: November 24, 2017
No agencies or phone calls please.