Are you interested in working at one of Canada’s leading business law firms alongside some of the best and brightest legal minds in the country providing exceptional services to our clients? Osler is looking for a Corporate Paralegal to join its Vancouver office.
The successful candidate’s main responsibilities will include:
- prepares corporate documents such as:
incorporation organization documents including preparing share provisions
documentation related to amalgamations, extra-provincial registrations, re-organizations, acquisitions, continuances, Section 85 rollovers, estate freezes, formation of partnership, dissolutions, etc.
reviewing, analyzing, summarizing, updating and maintaining basic to complex minute books and corporate records including electronic records database (ALF)
ensures documents comply with the applicable legislation (e.g. BCBCA, CBCA)
resolves any deficiencies.
arranges for required government filings such as articles, notices of change and annual returns
ensures all key details from minute books are entered into the corporate database
- performs due diligence of minute books identifying deficiencies and material matters, prepares report recommending manner of rectifying deficiencies; prepares any necessary documents required to comply with governing statutes and rectifying any deficiencies
- registers, renews, and cancels business names and partnerships; gathers information; prepares and files documents and reports accordingly
- prepares documents with and without firm precedents according to instructions and information provided by the Legal Professional and information gathered through own research (examples include resolutions, minutes, and correspondence)
- reviews documents prepared by Legal Professionals for general compliance with the related legislation
- researches, prepares and revises precedents and technical procedures checklist to ensure compliance with current legislation
- organizes small transactions and attends closings with Legal Professionals to oversee the execution of documents
- may organize and oversee Corporate Records database
- maintains confidentiality of Firm, client, and employee information
- performs other related duties as may be assigned from time to time
Education and Experience
- Paralegal Diploma/Certificate plus minimum 5 years’ experience as a Corporate Services Paralegal or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience
- must be eligible for membership in the British Columbia Paralegal Association
Knowledge and Skills
- laws/legislation relevant to the practice area, including British Columbia Business Corporations Act (BCBCA), Canada Business Corporations Act (CBCA), Canada Corporations Act; and other relevant business organization statutes, legal terminology, forms and documents related to the corporate practice area
- legal procedures and practices involved in drafting, processing and filing a variety of legal documents
- applicable legal references and their content
- proficiency with computers including advanced MS Word, Excel, Internet, Corporate Records software and other relevant programs
- ability to prioritize and organize work and manage multiple tasks ensuring deadlines are met
- ability to take initiative, work independently and exercise judgement
- willingness to learn and accept challenges with dedication to providing quality services
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer. Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background, strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to manage multiple deadlines, prioritize tasks, and excellent attention to detail, please reply in confidence with a cover letter, résumé and transcripts to:
Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.