Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
The incumbent is responsible for full cycle credit, collections, and A/R for an assigned portfolio across Canada. The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day credit and collections tasks that include but are not limited to daily collections, account discrepancies/reconciliations, support of all of the Firm’s clients’ A/R issues, etc.
- Investigate, analyze, reconcile and collect accounts receivable, generally by telephone or email, in accordance with terms of sale and company policies. Maintain notes and records concerning collection calls and activities for each account
- Responsible for all communications in a professional and confidential manner using sound judgement, tact, and previous experience to provide excellent collection outcome while maintaining superior ongoing relations with the Firm’s clients
- Build working relationships with internal departments (i.e. Billing Department), along with Partners and Legal Assistants to investigate and resolve client disputes in a timely manner to ensure satisfactory resolution for all parties involved
- Work with the Manager of Accounts Receivable for all delinquent situations that requires escalation, even third-party collections or legal action
- Obtain approval for all special terms, outside of Firm’s normal terms of repayment, that may arise from time to time
- Supply written and verbal credit references to parties requesting information where applicable
- Review of daily payments from clients to ensure accuracy and that they are in accordance with the Firm’s procedures/policies
- Review of the unapplied client payments to research, follow up and to ensure that they are applied correctly according to the client’s remittances
- Credit card payment processing where applicable
- Perform other duties related to Collections, Credit, and A/R as assigned
- Perform any other Ad Hoc duties as assigned by the Manager of Accounts Receivable
Education and Experience
This position requires a post-secondary degree or diploma in Accounting or Business Management, and a of minimum 5 years of previous related credit, collections and accounts receivable experience, preferably within a professional services firm. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable. A Certified Credit Professional designation from the Credit Institute of Canada (or similar Credit organization) is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficient in MS Office product suite with a strong working knowledge of Outlook, Excel and Word. Experience with Aderant and/or related accounting systems would be an asset
- Demonstrated ability to be results/target oriented both in their individual portfolio, within a collection team environment as well contributing results to the overall success on a company-wide basis
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment
- Strong decision-making, judgement and organizational skills is required
- Strong client service orientation and ability to manage multiple client requirements at the same time
- Ability to interact with senior members of the Firm, including the Partners and Senior Management
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written), attention to detail, efficient and organized
- Time management and organisational skills in order to efficiently multi-task and prioritize among many demands
- Ability to work under pressure
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working mostly remote, and subject to public health guidelines we are actively planning for a gradual return to office. We anticipate that a hybrid work arrangement will be in place for this role, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls/emails please.