Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our over 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for an Ethics & Risk Administrator to join Osler’s Conflicts, Records & Risk Management department reporting to the Ethics & Risk Manager.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Administer the Firm’s Ethical Wall process to comply with the Firm’s ethical responsibilities to maintain clients’ information in confidence
- Create and dismantle ethical walls utilizing Intapp software
- Draft internal communications regarding the establishment or removal of ethical walls
- Respond to inquiries
- Maintain system of internal memoranda
- Administer the Firm’s conflict clearing process for lateral hires
- Maintain and administer our national lateral conflict inquiry system
- Manage internal and external communications
Liaise with legal professionals and draft internal communications regarding potential conflicts of interest
- Review employment history for all incoming lateral hires (including legal professionals, legal assistants, and administrative staff for all Osler offices) and request conflict searches as required.
- Assist in the administration of departures, preparation of reports, liaising with lawyers, assistants and other firm administrative departments, as required.
- Will be interacting with legal practice areas, administrative departments and involves direct interactions with partners, senior legal staff and administrative managers in all offices
- Assist with Special Projects and perform other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
The position requires a University degree or College diploma in Information Management, Information Systems & Design, Library Science or Library & Information Technology or other applicable diploma program plus two years of business office experience in a law firm, financial institution or professional services firm. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted. Previous experience with Intapp software is an asset. Bilingualism is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Highly motivated, highly organized with advanced time management skills
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; strong attention to detail; results driven; look for ways to improve and promote quality
- Advanced research and problem solving skills with the ability to conduct conflict of interest searches and exercise judgement to resolve related issues in a timely manner
- Experience in database searching and interpreting data
- Maintain a professional demeanor; be service oriented with ability to effectively interact with all levels of personnel, responds promptly to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments
- Excellent communication; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions. Writes clearly and informatively and exhibits a high level of professionalism in correspondence; edits work for spelling and grammar
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and show initiative while working in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment with tight timelines; requires excellent multi-tasking skills
- Exceptional negotiation and teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various groups; work effectively as a team member as well as independently; able to balance team and individual responsibilities; excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proactive in taking ownership for the resolution of issues and able to work with minimal supervision, ability to exercise judgment, ability to work with limited direction; ability to assess situations objectively
- Strong interest in technology and strong computer literacy; experience with MSOffice/Excel; proven ability to learn new software and programs and keep up to date with developments
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing date: May 28, 2021
No agencies or phone calls please.