Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for an Executive Assistant. With dual reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer and Chief Legal Talent Officer, provides a wide range of executive and administrative support duties, including handling sensitive information.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Manages two busy calendars and bring forward systems for action items (booking rooms, AV/VCON and other resources, arranging food)
- Organizes and supports meetings, often with multiple parties, including sending out invitations and arranging logistics (meeting rooms, AV/VCON, food, etc.)
- Prepares meeting materials, such as PowerPoint presentations, reports and agendas, and ensures all necessary materials are prepared and distributed
- Co-ordinates and/or supports department related committee meetings, including Toronto’s Social Committee. Back-up support may also be required for United Way Committee initiatives
General Administrative Support
- Monitor’s email (flagging items for attention, taking action as requested)
- Track’s deadlines and follows up with respect to outstanding action item
- Prepares correspondence and documents (in Word and Excel) and posts information on intranet as directed
- Maintains electronic and paper files
- Coordinates budgets and monitors expenses for the Human Resources and Legal Talent departments
- Makes travel arrangements and processes expenses
- Responds to or redirects inquiries regarding talent management (Human Resources or Legal Talent)
- Provides administrative support as required to team members in the portfolio, including Partnership Administration and back-up to HR Admin Assistant
- Supports special projects (e.g., Student Achievement Awards) and assists with project co-ordination and execution as required
Education and Experience
University degree or College diploma in business administration or related discipline and several years of related experience, preferably in a professional services environment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to communicate clearly using discretion, tact and courtesy, as this role is exposed to confidential issues daily
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
- Superior ability to proactively prioritize and organize work and effectively manage multiple tasks with conflicting deadlines and changing priorities
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve problems and think creatively; strong detail orientation and demonstrated accuracy
- Demonstrated accuracy and high attention to detail
- Excellent teamwork – ability to work with all Firm stakeholders and internal departments
- Superior proficiency with computers including all Microsoft office programs (PowerPoint, Word, Excel) in order to produce high-quality, professional documents
- Basic accounting and math skills in order to prepare invoices, process expense claims and draft budgets
- Flexibility to work extra hours as required
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing Date: August 16, 2021
No agencies or phone calls/emails please.