Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for an Executive Assistant. This role will provide a wide range of administrative activities to support the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO).
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Manages calendars (booking rooms, AV/VCON and other resources, arranging food)
- Maintains a bring forward system for COO and follows-up on action items
- Monitors COO’s email (flagging items for attention, taking action as requested)
- Files (electronic and paper) for COO
- Makes travel arrangements
- Tracks vacation for Chiefs and senior Human Resources & Operations team
General Administrative Support
- Supports Meetings and Committees (scheduling regular and adhoc meetings with multiple parties, drafting agendas, gathering and distributing materials, taking minutes as requested)
- Prepares documents (Word and Excel) and presentations (PowerPoint)
- Processes Expense claims
- Drafts and monitors departmental budgets
- Posts notices and maintains administrative organization chart on intranet page
- Backs up HR Administrative Assistant and Senior Coordinator Partnership Administration upon request
- Provides adhoc support to other Chiefs and senior partners as requested
- Provides support on special projects (e.g., Town Halls, Partnership Board initiatives)
- Responds to various inquiries and directs individuals to the appropriate party
- Supports annual retired partner’s festive lunch
- Undertakes designated personal duties to make the COO more productive
Education and Experience
A university degree or community college diploma in Business Administration or related discipline is required along with a thorough knowledge of the Firm’s policies and procedures. Several years of related experience preferably in a professional services environment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to communicate clearly using discretion, tact and courtesy, as this role is exposed to confidential issues daily
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, make appropriate judgements, solve problems and think creatively
- Superior ability to proactively prioritize and organize work and effectively manage multiple tasks with conflicting deadlines
- Demonstrated accuracy and high attention to detail
- superior proficiency with computers including all Microsoft office programs (PowerPoint, Word, Excel) in order to produce high-quality, professional documents
- Basic accounting and math skills in order to prepare invoices, process expense claims and draft budgets
- Flexibility to work extra hours as required
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls/emails please.