Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Reporting to the Director, Practice Management, the Finance Coordinator is responsible for providing administrative and general support in all aspects of client and matter management. This is a detail-oriented position with an emphasis on tenacity, time management, technical tasks and interpersonal skills.
- Assist with Request for Proposals and the development of fee estimates
- Maintain the volume discount master file, monitor client volume on a monthly basis and update client discounts when required
- Maintain the fee credit tracking file, update fee credit balance and coordinate application of fee credit on a monthly basis
- Monitor the department mailbox and triage complex fee arrangements or rate requests to relevant team members
- Update matter level budgets in Aderant upon request from partners, their legal assistant or other stakeholders
- Administer the tracking codes in the Matter Administration Database and in Aderant
- Assist with setting up hourly rates for new timekeepers.
- Coordinate with internal departments to obtain and submit reports to clients directly and/or through the e-billing platform
- Provide support in the annual rate renewal process
- Maintain and update department content on our Firm intranet and external Firm website
- Assist with the enhancement of tools and processes to further improve efficiency
- Assist with general tracking and reporting activities for the department
- Provide other administrative and project support as required
Education and Experience
This position requires a college diploma or university degree specializing in a business discipline, and a minimum of three years of relevant experience. Prior work experience in finance, accounting or a (legal) project management function within the legal or professional services industry is preferred, but not required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Good working knowledge of Excel, with an aptitude to learn new technologies
- Ability to communicate insights clearly, both written and verbal, to a diverse audience
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with other business units
- Ability to perform at a high level in a fast-paced work environment and successfully adapt to changing priorities and work demands
- Comfortable working with numbers
- Proactive approach to work, with a mindset of continuous innovation and improvement
- Self-starter with strong self-regulation skills
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.