Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Reporting to the Director, Business Analytics, the Financial Analyst will provide the management of the Firm with accurate, relevant and timely financial information. The successful candidate will also be responsible for ensuring the Firm’s financial reporting requirements are met.
- Manages the Practice Management (PM) and Client Development (CD) Groups’ reporting requests and works collaboratively with PM & CD to continuously enhance reporting to meet evolving client needs
- Supports the Client Billing Services team in providing timely responses to client inquiries
- Acts as an advisor to partners and senior management on the proper use of financial information and terminology
- Prepares ad hoc reports for analysis of financial details for department chairs, office managing partners, committee chairs, and support department directors and managers. Such analysis includes all aspects of a financial nature, including but not limited to revenue analysis, client trends, departmental and office trends, salary & bonus calculations, profitability analysis, etc.
- Responsible for the preparation and interpretation of the quarterly and annual reports, including the Contribution Analysis, Business Planning support, Thomson Reuters Peer Monitor benchmarking surveys, Statistics Canada surveys, etc.
- Responsible for leading the preparation of financial information relating to the annual partner compensation process. Advising and supporting the Compensation Committee in understanding the financial information and providing ad hoc analyses to support
- Responsible for the “Budget” email inbox regarding any budget inquiries or submissions
- Responsible for the “Financial Reporting” email box that responds to requests/queries from the partnership, as well as directors and managers
- Handles highly confidential materials and documents, including partner and staff income data
- Responsible for leading special financial analysis and reporting projects as assigned. May require supervising and leading other team members to achieve the project goals
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree in a business discipline and a minimum of three to five years of experience in budgeting and financial analysis is required or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. An accounting designation (CA/CMA/CGA/CPA) is a requirement. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy with numbers
- Legal services / professional services firm experience necessary
- Solid knowledge of basic and advanced accounting concepts and principles including G/L, trend analysis, ratios, accrual accounting, financial instruments, etc.
- Knowledge of the budget process and its components
- Analytical skills necessary for budget maintenance and detailed analyses
- Basic Leadership / Project Management skills in order to lead small teams on projects
- Ability to organize data to achieve desired results and design custom reports
- Communication skills (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills are required to communicate with a number of various contacts at all levels
- Time management and organisational skills in order to efficiently multi-task and prioritize among many demands
- In-depth knowledge of Osler financial analytical tools such as Excel (advanced), SQL, Adobe Acrobat, and ADERANT. Knowledge of Iridium products (such as Revenue Module and Budget & Forecasting software) and Microsoft SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) is an asset
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing date: November 5, 2021.
No agencies or phone calls please.