Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and business professionals have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
The successful candidate provides an efficient and seamless business intake process for opening new matters. Responsible for conducting business research and database content analysis to provide information to legal professionals so that they can confirm that the acceptance of new business does not negatively affect the interests of current or past clients and it does not affect the Firm’s ability to impartially represent current, former, and new clients.
Please note: Hours of work are 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.
- Responsible for the Firm’s new business intake, including matter openings, client matter amendments and conducting conflict of interest searches within multiple databases for the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and New York offices
- Prepare timely, accurate and succinct conflict reports by reviewing, retrieving and summarizing relevant information from multiple databases
- Reviewing New Business Intake forms for completeness and accuracy and modify the data as required
- Maintain Firm’s client management system and update related information. Monitors the system for irregularities or inefficiencies. Reviews the system for stalled requests, assists users with delegating requests, troubleshoots and corrects user errors and reports system issues
- Functions in a quality control role to ensure accuracy of information submitted. Revise incorrect information as required
- Educate and provide guidance to Firm members regarding the policies and procedures of new business intake and conflict management
- Follow procedures and policies governing the Firm’s matter opening and conflict management activities and responsibilities
- Identify and/or participate in the evaluation of tools to create efficiencies, enhance best practices and test new products and software
Education and Experience
The position requires university degree or college diploma in Information Management, Library Science, Information Science or Library & Information Technology plus three years experience in a legal environment or a professional services firm. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted. Bilingualism is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced research, investigative and problem-solving skills with the ability to gather and analyze information, exercise sound judgement to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Advanced time management and organizational skills adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; works to meet Department and Firm objectives
- Excellent communication skills; Speaks clearly and persuasively; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions. Writes clearly and informatively
- Proven ability to work as part of a team. Capable of building and maintaining effective working relationships to become a trusted advisor to lawyers, assistants and other firm admin departments with a willingness to cooperate and share knowledge
- Strive for continuous improvement, flexible approach, promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; strong attention to detail; highly motivated and results driven
- Strong computer skills and proven ability to learn new software and programs and keep up to date with developments (including enhancements to the Firm’s systems)
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.