Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our over 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Osler Works – Disputes is a talented team of experts – full-time specialized lawyers, legal professionals and technologists - who work together to deliver high quality results. As part of the broader Osler litigation team, Osler Works – Disputes plays an integral role in helping develop strategy and innovative solutions related to data management, the discovery process and undertakings management.
The Junior Litigation and Support Specialist provides key support to all members of Osler Works – Disputes, with a focus on using technology to create efficiencies within the litigation practice. The successful candidate will support firm members and clients of the firm by resolving connectivity issues and supporting use of the technology.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Serve as second level support in resolving software/hardware issues relating to the use of litigation support tools (Relativity, LAW software and hardware)
- Assist with monitoring litigation servers for space and availability
- Coordinate Microsoft patches and appropriate server updates with network operations team
- Assist in set up of new servers as required
- Assist with scanning paper documents into electronic format and importing into review tool
- Assist with objective document coding
- Assists with arranging external vendors for large document scanning/coding projects
- Assist with archiving of inactive case data
- Assist with all aspects of electronic document production
- Assist in mobile technology support
- Assist with on-site discovery and trial technology
- Process electronic data (including culling, filtering, and imaging) to allow import into chosen review application
- Act as a secondary database administrator for all litigation support applications
- Assist in providing specialized case-specific one-on-one training sessions relating to the use of Relativity and other litigation technology software tools
- Assist with custodian interviews (interviewing client(s) to determine universe of documents)
- Assist legal team and/or firm clients with implementing defensible methods of electronic data collection (both advising best practices as well as assisting with on-site collections)
- Assist with document review and coding
- Assist with compiling Bills of Costs
- Assist in performing other case specific duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Community College diploma in Information Technology or equivalent and/or two years’ experience working in Application Services or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Experience in a legal department or law firm an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills required to interact professionally with clients, lawyers, paraprofessionals, other staff members and outside vendors
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Solid knowledge of virtual machine management and configuration
- Solid knowledge of personal computers, Windows Operating Systems and the Microsoft Office suite
- Advanced Excel knowledge and/or programming and scripting experience
- Solid knowledge of SQL
- Advanced troubleshooting skills
- Detail-oriented and able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Ability to understand and follow detailed instructions
- Team player who can interact well with other team members
- Knowledge of Relativity, Summation or other document review tools an asset
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please apply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing Date: February 8, 2021
No phone calls or agencies please.