Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for a Legal Assistant in our Ottawa office in the IP Department (Litigation Section). We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic individual to provide secretarial services and administrative support to a fast-paced team of legal professionals.
This position will assist in managing the practices of one or more legal professionals in the IP Department through the provision of secretarial and administrative support, thereby allowing the legal professional(s) to concentrate on providing legal services to clients.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides administrative functions for the IP Department (Litigation) which includes drafting, reviewing and finalizing correspondence; proofreading patent applications; preparing documentation associated with the filing of patent applications, etc.
- Arranges for court reporters and order copies of transcripts.
- Performs duties associated with litigation practices such as assisting counsel with trial preparation; organizing documentation and sending required materials to opposing counsel; maintains book of pleadings; prepares court documents, etc.
- Performs client account administration which includes receiving, reviewing, editing and drafting e-prebills; preparing invoices for review by legal professionals; receiving and preparing accounts for finalization and preparing subsequent correspondence and addressing client inquiries regarding billings; receiving and preparing monthly summary statement of certain client invoices; arranging for approval and payment of foreign associates’ invoices.
- Provides clerical support such as answering the telephone, arranging appointments for lawyers, maintaining lawyer’s calendars and reminding lawyers of deadlines; makes travel/accommodation arrangements on behalf of legal professionals.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Completion of a Community College Secretarial program
- Experience working in a professional office or legal environment. IP litigation experience is an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to deal with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Ability to multi-task, organize and manage multiple priorities and respond to requests from a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent writing skills to effectively draft legal documents and proof-read patent applications
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls please.