Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for a Legal Assistant in our Research practice group. This position will provide a high level of support in order to enhance the Legal Professionals practice efficiency, and provide specialized administration support to the Department Chair. This position requires an excellent multi-tasker with strong administrative and communication skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will be a strong team player, with first-rate organizational and technical expertise, problem solving abilities and client service mindset.
- Supports multiple legal professionals in the Research Department, provides specialized administration support to the Department Chair, and works with various practice areas in the Toronto office
- Manages document workflow including drafting, finalizing and distributing documents, correspondence and materials
- Manages files, including gathering and researching information for client intake process (NBI), workspace management, creating and managing files in document management system, communicating with other LPs and Assistants working on files
- Assists to prepare document templates and to finalize client documents, including document formatting (memos, factums, charts, etc.)
- Manages Research precedents and assists in locating appropriate precedents
- Conducts quality control, by reviewing their own work and work completed by others
- Proactively monitors LPs’ emails to remain current on work in progress
- Provides administrative assistance to LPs and clients through scheduling and arranging meetings, and booking facilities and travel, with awareness of LP and client preferences
- Supports client development activities, such as managing bios, entering/updating information into CRM database
- Provides other practice management support (e.g. overseeing docketing, time entry, lateral conflict inquiry reminders, etc.)
- Receives, researches, prepares for and follows up on audit inquiries
- Maintains high level of discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Performs other duties as required to achieve Firm objectives
Education and Experience
The position requires the completion of a Community College Office or Business Administration program plus a minimum of three years’ experience working in a professional services or legal environment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional technical skills (Adobe Pro & MS Office – Word, Excel & PowerPoint); able to troubleshoot (i.e. resolve corrupt or damaged documents); familiar with litigation-based documentation
- Knowledge of and/or willingness to become familiar with legal research practices
- Detail-oriented, with strong written and verbal communication
- Organizational skills required to effectively multi-task
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, takes full responsibility for assigned tasks
- Solid drafting and proofreading skills
- Strong client service, teamwork, communication skills and positive attitude
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.