Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver, and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management, and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
As a member of the Firm’s Knowledge & Innovation team, the Legal Innovation Technologist will work collaboratively with the Firm’s legal professionals and administrative teams to continue Osler’s development of market leading innovative products and services. The Legal Innovation Technologist will directly support the design, build and implementation of best-in-class practice and client solutions using the Firm’s legal technology suite. The Technologist will ensure the Knowledge & Innovation team uses best practices in applying legal technology to the delivery of superior of client service.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with other members of the Knowledge & Innovation team and the Firm’s legal professionals in the ideation and design of legal and practice solutions
- Prototype and build legal and practice solutions using the Firm’s suite of legal technology
- Support the operationalization of completed innovation products and services into the practice
- Support the maintenance of completed products and services
- Monitor the legal technology market
- Work with vendors to trouble shoot and develop solutions
- Contribute to the assessment and selection of legal technology tools
- Work closely with the Firm’s Information Services (Technology) team to ensure legal technology solutions are developed in compliance with Firm requirements
- Recommend and follow best practices for the management of the Firm’s legal technology and related data.
- A law degree is not required
- University Degree or College Diploma in a related field
- 2-3 years’ working experience; experience working in a legal environment is an asset
- Experience in programming to build a web application or a database application
- Familiarity with technology tools such as document assembly and robotic process automation
- Experience with relational database management systems (SQL server or Excel)
- Experience integrating Cloud APIs or REST APIs
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Creativity, curiosity, agility, and the ability to pivot
- Team player
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills required to interact professionally with clients, lawyers, paraprofessionals, other staff members and outside vendors
- Knowledge of administering a Windows Server or with server software including Java, Python, Node.js, PowerShell, REST is an asset but not required
- Knowledge about open source software is an asset but not required
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to:
No phone calls or agencies please.