Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Application Services, the Manager, Enterprise Applications will provide hands-on management support in maintaining and enhancing the full spectrum of enterprise applications. Incumbent will lead all phases of enterprise applications lifecycle from planning, implementation, maintenance, upgrade and decommission, ensuring a highly reliable and stable application environment. Expert-level SQL and database skills will allow management of the firm's Microsoft SQL Server infrastructure environment. Management skills will direct a group of performing individuals in projects, service incidents, and change requests.
- Manage the applications and services, provide support, management of products & systems for a range of departments to support them in meeting their business objectives and goals
- Manage application projects including scheduling, resource planning and implementation involving firm technology. Lead technical resource in application services projects
- Report on the status of projects and enterprise applications including issues and their impact
- Work closely with all stakeholders to ensure technical solutions meet business objectives and requirements, ensuring scalability, reliability, architectural goals, and ensuring all risks and impacts are considered
- Investigate, resolve and report on medium to highly complex technical issues requiring business application and system integration understanding
- Work with business clients and technical staff to deploy enterprise applications, develop/enhance database architectures, and quality assurance policies and procedures
- Assign and schedule tasks to ensure the most effective use of team personnel based on established priorities
- Working with highly confidential information and always requiring maintenance of confidentiality
- Bridge the gap between business, senior leadership and technology, communicates architecture and IT related concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences across the organization’s business functions
- Lead the IT business continuity and disaster recovery plans on various enterprise applications, share the ideas and enhancement to the process. Make sure that the system recovery has been thoroughly planned & can be fulfilled in a timely and effective manner. Maintain the documentations on system recovery
- Ensure the businesses data is safely protected through backups, ensure recoverability of backups in an effective manner coordinated with backup operator
- Manage a team of highly experienced and professional individuals, assign and review work, mentor, coach and counsel, train, monitor
- Assist in recruiting, hiring, and providing appropriate training for the employees on technology and related stuff, evaluates performance, recommends development opportunities, and discusses performance improvement needs/goals with individuals
- Carry an after-hours phone and provide after-hours support as required for critical issues
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree in Computer Science or a related field with a minimum of 7 years’ experience in enterprise application support, with 5 years as either a technical leader or IT manager. Working and business knowledge in the Legal industry is preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable. Ideally, the incumbent shall have significant exposure to the full breadth of enterprise applications including document management, financial systems, database administration etc.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong interpersonal, managerial, and leadership skills to supervise, direct and collaborate with ability to motivate staff
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) to accurately and efficiently express thought, diplomatically present opinions, recommendations, draft plans/procedures
- Effective negotiation skills with ability to gain the confidence of, and to interact/collaborate with various internal and external groups (also with sensitive matters)
- Solid understanding of database solutions including but not limited to Relational Databases, SQL, ETL, Reporting Services, Backup and Recovery, installation and upgrades etc.
- Solid understanding of enterprise solutions including but not limited Enterprise Search, iManage Document Management System, Aderant, Intapp product suite (Walls, NBI, Time, Terms), HR & HCM, MS SQL Server, Windows Server
- Advanced technical knowledge of application software and infrastructure with logic and troubleshooting skills to resolve enterprise issues
- Comprehensive knowledge of principles and concepts related to all relevant areas of IT systems, architectures, infrastructure, and security. Strong understanding of system integration and access control principles
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.