Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently hiring for a Manager, Financial Reporting in our Accounting department. This role provides Firm management with accurate, relevant and timely financial information. This includes co-ordination of all internal reviews and external audits. Other responsibilities include assisting with month end and year end financial reporting procedures, implementing internal control and process improvements and assistance with annual budgeting. Also serve as a project lead/manager for any project implementations in the Accounting area.
- Co-ordinate the conduct of the Firm’s annual external audit of its Financial Statements, tax and trust accounting operations with the Firm’s external auditors, various tax authorities or auditors from various Law Societies
- Co-ordinate routine compliance functions including adherence to expense and billing policies, commodity tax rules and various other internal reviews as assigned
- Assists with the Firm’s annual budgeting with respect to support departments and capital expenditures
- Ensures the timely and accurate reporting of the annual trust reports for the Law Society of Ontario, Law Society of Alberta, Law Society of British Columbia and Barreau du Québec
- Reviews expense reports for compliance with Firm certain Firm policies
- Work with Finance leadership to develop and implement internal control and process improvements, including developing innovative, proactive and efficient ways to improve quality, control effectiveness and customer service
- Manage special projects as assigned. Supervising and/or leading other team members to achieve the project goal. Projects may include upgrades of existing software, implementation of new software and/or new features of existing software, etc.
- Responsible for leading special financial analysis and reporting projects as assigned; may require supervising and leading other team members to achieve project goals.
- Handle confidential materials and document
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree and a CPA designation (preferably through the CA stream or having alternate audit experience). A minimum of five years of accounting experience is also desired and some supervisory/managerial experience is preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy with numbers
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft products including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Understanding of basic internal controls of an accounting department
- Solid knowledge of advanced accounting concepts and principles
- Strong knowledge of commodity taxes
- Analytical skills necessary for detailed analyses
- Basic Leadership / Project Management skills in order to lead small teams on projects
- Ability to organize data to achieve desired results and design custom reports
- Communication skills (written and verbal), focussed listening, interpersonal and negotiation skills are required to communicate with a number of various contacts at all levels, including the Partners of the Firm
- Time management and organizational skills in order to efficiently multi-task and prioritize among many demands
- Knowledge of Osler financial analytical tools such as Excel (advanced), SQL, Adobe Acrobat, ADERANT, and Microsoft SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) preferred
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team player with a positive attitude
How To Apply
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to: