Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver, and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management, and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for a Manager, Legal Ethics & Risk in our Toronto office.
- Manage and administer the Firm’s Ethical Wall process to comply with the Firm’s ethical responsibilities to maintain clients’ information in confidence
- Manage the Firm’s conflict clearing process for lateral hires, including conflict searching, ensure candidate documentation is completed and received in a timely fashion. Manage internal and external communications. Coordinate onboarding of laterals with Records team and New Business Intake team relating to matter transfers
- Respond to Regulatory requests for information ensuring responses comply with applicable privacy laws
- Manage our internal Annual Quality Assurance program
- Is a key member of our Ethics & Conflicts Committee and manages Committee meetings and action items
- Assist in the administration of departures, preparation of reports, liaising with lawyers, assistants, and other Firm Administrative departments, as required
- Manage the Firm’s external counsel guidelines program
- Manage responses to client anti-corruption and compliance questionnaires
- Participate in risk presentations to lawyers and assistants on aspects of risk related policy and regulation including providing guidance on ethical walls
- Evaluate, develop and implement technology solutions relating to risk management; act as project lead for risk projects
- Supervise and mentor the Ethics and Risk Administrator
Education and Experience
- Have a law degree or a minimum of 5 years of experience in a legal environment, in an administrative role having an emphasis on risk, regulatory knowledge. An equivalent combination of risk related education, training and experience in other regulatory environments may be considered
- Bilingualism will be considered an asset
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of risk management and regulatory compliance within an organization
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and strong research skills. Able to quickly identify and analyze complex issues to provide practical solutions; and to consider and analyze divergent legal positions often under time pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to provide clear instructions or advice; persuasively communicating risk processes and policies
- Excellent multi-tasking skills. Able to effectively manage a range of duties and responsibilities; organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks simultaneously and completing them to a high standard
- Self-motivated, highly organized with excellent time management skills
- Strong computer skills and proven ability to learn new software and programs and keep up to date with developments (including enhancements to the Firm’s systems)
- Experience in the area of risk, ethical and regulatory compliance environment in which law firms operate and a solid understanding of the various professional regulatory bodies relevant to legal practice
- Proven ability to work as part of a team. Capable of building and maintaining effective working relationships to become a trusted advisor to lawyers, assistants, other firm admin departments and the Ethics & Conflicts Committee with a willingness to cooperate and share knowledge
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing date: August 9, 2021
No agencies or phone calls please.