Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Working collaboratively with the Senior Manager, Pricing, the Pricing Manager is responsible for managing the operational accountability for estimates and alternative fee arrangements on business proposals, helping coach and mentor pricing professionals, and developing efficient processes and gathering precedents / templates that result in winning and profitable pricing solutions in response to client pricing demands.
- Lead the pricing and advance analytical support related to medium to complex Request For Proposals (and play a mentoring role for those delegated to other pricing professionals), leading pricing discussions with the Client Development team, lawyers, and Practice Management team
- Assist the Senior Manager in owning the pricing development and approval process for Partners and the Billing Management Committee (BMC)
- Act as a thought leader on and curator of the firm’s Alternative Fee Arrangements (AFAs)
- Present to our clients in conjunction with RFPs and other business development initiatives
- Manage the enhancement of tools, templates, and processes in support of advancing the firm’s creative pricing strategies, including systems to capture billing arrangements, pricing performance, experience, and lessons learned to fully inform current and future engagements
- Assist the Senior Manager in running various projects in relation to client profitability and pricing initiatives which may include development of pre-priced packaged legal solutions, advising firm management in assessing long-term sustainability of various legal business models, data analytics etc.
- Lead the development of and refine processes and tools to develop pricing deliverables and evaluate profitability of various types of engagements
- Provide pricing-related training, coaching, and advice to Firm Management, our Partners and Associates
- Provide training and coaching to pricing analysts and coordinators
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree in a business discipline and a minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in finance-related disciplines, including practical experience in pricing, Legal Project Management (LPM), and data analytics in a law firm or other professional service industry. An accounting designation (CPA) or Masters Business Administration (MBA) is a requirement. An employment history in the areas of law (LLB or paralegal) is an asset. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong track record of supporting, coaching and influencing senior decision makers and client-facing professionals (e.g. Partners and Senior Management) on pricing issues
- Expert working knowledge of pricing, alternative fee arrangements, and costing of services in the legal context
- Ability to analyze financial data and make insightful observations to arrive at balanced pricing-related decisions and risk assessments
- Excellent communication skills and a calm, but confident presence for direct engagement that builds trust with senior members of the Firm, including Partners. The end goal is to become a “go to” person for all pricing-related activities, thus helping the Senior Manager, Pricing in executing on their mandate and managing the workload
- Able to work autonomously yet assist in coaching a team of pricing professionals to deliver on multiple engagements with aggressive deadlines. Excellent time management and organizational skills in order to efficiently multi-task and prioritize are critical
- Experience in legal matter management concepts
- In-depth knowledge of Osler financial analytical tools such as Excel (advanced), PowerPoint, SQL, MS Access, ADERANT, and Microsoft SQL Analysis Services (SSAS) cubes
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls please.