Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
We are currently recruiting for a Manager Records & Information Management in our Conflicts, Records & Risk Management department in our Toronto Office. This position will be responsible for the day to day operations, as well as, the strategic advancement of the Firm’s information governance program for both physical and electronic records; continual development and implementation of policies and procedures; ensure compliance, coach, mentor and lead the Team and assist Firm members in effective information governance techniques.
This position requires a strategic information governance professional to provide leadership, direction, planning and management of the Firm’s information governance program. Reports to the Director, Conflicts, Records & Risk Management.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide leadership, direction, planning and management of the Firm’s information governance program, including retention and disposition, information security and data privacy, physical and electronic content organization and management
- Ensure the Team and Records Department adheres to strict ISO 27001 standards
- Sets the overall direction of the Team by providing coaching and performance feedback, ensuring a cohesive operational unit with optimum use of Team skills; ensure effective communication, teamwork and prioritization of initiatives; enable and empower Team to achieve collective and individual goals; ensure Department is adequately staffed, assign and review work with a focus on continuous quality improvement, recommend development opportunities; maintain employee vacation and attendance records
- Coach, mentor and provide support to Records personnel in all of our offices
- Assess, monitor and analyze the effectiveness of existing programs, systems, standards, methods and procedures. Provide solution recommendations to create efficiencies, address any gaps, mitigate risk
- Manage processes associated with the retention and disposition of client and Firm business records, both physical and electronic
- Analysis of client materials designated for offsite storage; assist lawyers and assistants to cull physical materials that exist electronically; assist them in managing their electronic files to reduce duplication in physical files
- Manage the on-boarding and departure process from an information management perspective
- Will be interacting with legal practice areas, administrative departments and involves direct interactions with partners, senior legal staff and administrative managers in all offices
- Assist with special projects
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
University degree or College Diploma in Information Management, Library Science or Library & Information Technology plus five years’ experience working in an Information Governance/Records Management role including two years leading a team. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable. Legal industry experience is an asset. Professional certification is desired.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent project management and leadership skills with ability to effectively communicate project goals and activities; experience and ability to oversee and direct longer-term initiatives to completion
- Experience managing a department and leading a team. Knowledge of adult training principles and concepts to train new and existing staff
- Proven ability to work as part of a team; capable of building and maintaining effective working relationship to become a trusted advisor with a willingness to cooperate and share knowledge; ability to interact and collaborate with various groups
- Strong experience with information governance principles, retention schedules, litigation holds, policy, procedure, storage and retrieval, best practices for physical and electronic records
- Strong IT skills, experience with records management software and database applications, proven ability to learn new software and programs and keep up to date with development
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; strong attention to detail; results driven; look for way to improve and promote quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to provide clear instructions or advice and persuasively communicate processes and policies
- Proactive in taking ownership for the resolution of issues and able to work with minimal supervision; ability to assess situations objectively, ability to perceive and analyze problems and make sound judgments
- Self-motivated, advanced time management and organizational skills with ability to multi-task among detailed-oriented tasks with tight deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.