Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Do you want to work in an engaging and innovative work environment? Do you want to grow your career at a top tier law firm working with a dynamic and fast-paced team? Then look no further! Osler is currently recruiting for a Office Services Assistant.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Office Services and Facilities, the successful candidate will be accountable to execute a variety of tasks in support of the Office Services Department.
- Prepares office allocations for Student rotations based on pre-determined student assignments; obtains approvals from the Supervisor’s and/or Sr. Manager and Student Programs. Prepares on MAC spreadsheet and issues to distribution list
- Works with Supervisor’s, Office Services to organize and prepare paper work (MAC spreadsheet) for internal office moves of staff, new arrivals and departures. Distributes finalize details of the MAC spreadsheet to distribution list
- Books visitor offices and issues paperwork to MAC distribution list
- Prepares Move Guide and labels for individuals moving as well as creates name plates and mailbox labels for the Toronto Office
- Works with the Office Services Team to ensure moves are executed smoothly and items moving have been tagged and signage for moves created and posted
- Ensures office/workstation are tidy, new office signage is in place and that post move deficiencies have been reported to the Supervisor’s, Office Services for scheduling
- Updates Directory and updates floor plans in Visio post MAC to reflect office/workstation changes
- Participates in space inspections as well as pre/post move inspections. Prepares inspection reports and follow’s up to ensure items noted have been rectified
- Invoices: reviews and checks vendor invoices for accuracy, Matches with back up documentation, codes for payment and forwards to Sr. Manager for approval
- Responsible for maintaining back up that relates to work completed and eventually invoiced
- Complies and Submits Recoveries to Accounting– Purchasing (Exports recovery spreadsheet from Toronto e-purchasing 2x’s per month), Osler Store and Distribution (Pitney Bowes mail and Courier disbursements)
- Completes unknown mail searches and Registered Mail Tracking
- Maintains Purchasing and Osler Store inventory/stock levels. Obtains quotes when needed for approval. Places order once approved
- Maintains e-purchasing site to update status of orders, places orders with Office Services Suppliers for standard Purchasing requests and communicates with individuals any details of their order
- Assists with planning of department functions i.e. boardroom bookings, department celebrations etc
- Boardroom Bookings Operational Meeting - prepares weekly status spreadsheet for the Sr. Manager and the Supervisors, Office Services
- Arranges for the scanning of all hardcopy Courier Logs, Manifests, inspection logs etc. with Printing. Saves files in MCDM once scanned
- Compiles Office Services related stats and submits to the Offices Services, Sr. Manager
- Assists in Office Services (i.e. processing couriers, front window duties, monitors inbox’s and answers phones, rotation duties, placing 310 serve reports, taking security photos etc.)
- Coordinates installation of Firm artwork and maintains database/inventory spreadsheets of artwork within the Firm
- Provides coverage/back-up to the Supervisors, Office Services and Technicians as needed
- Provides administrative assistance to the Sr. Manager and the Supervisor, Office Services (includes Office Services including posting of OslerNet notices, NERP and H&S and special projects)
- Willingness to work overtime (sometimes may be required on short notice) and deals with inquires on the emergency after-hours Office Services cell phone
- Works closely with the Office Services Supervisor/Office Services Sr. Manager and advises of non-standard requests, outstanding items and makes recommendations when required
- Liaises with Suppliers/Firm Members regarding the status requests, general inquiries and to resolve problems. Escorts vendors when required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
This position requires two years experience in a Facilities Department and or enrollment in an accredited Facilities Management Course or significant administrative experience, preferably in a professional services organization.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Solid writing/proofreading skills with ability to create reports and presentation materials
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills; ability to effectively interact with all firm members at all levels
- Superior customer service orientation with a friendly, professional manner
- Demonstrates ability to exercise good judgement and discretion; sensitivity to confidential matters is required
- Intermediate computer skills and proficiency with MS Office (including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and knowledge of Visio and Sharepoint considered an asset
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing date: October 8, 2021.
No agencies or phone calls please.