Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Office Services, the Office Services Technician will provide routine distribution, premises, purchasing services in the Toronto office, such as furniture and equipment moves, sorting and routing of mail and filling general office supply orders. The Office Services Technician will also be responsible for ensuring all work is undertaken and executed in accordance with generally accepted safety and security guidelines.
- Prepares boardrooms in the Conference Center and on practice floors for seminars and meetings (both internal and client). Sets up and re-set furniture and equipment as per work order request
- Communicates status of set up/re-set with the Office Services, Premises Coordinator
- Completes miscellaneous premises requests, as scheduled by the Coordinator. This includes installation of keyboard trays, varidesks and minor repairs etc. Follows up with Office Services, Premises Coordinator with status of the request
- Completes scheduled inspections of: boardrooms, washrooms, space, first aid kits/NERP supplies. Ensures problem areas are reported to the Office Services, Premises Coordinator
- Prepares offices and workstations for new hires. Ensures the office is clean, furniture wiped down, carpet cleaned, walls repaired, name plates in place and supplies are unpacked and set up
- Completes internal moves/student rotations. Moves boxes, chairs or other furniture as indicated on the MAC spreadsheet. May included tagging of furniture, assisting with the packing of office contents and supervising outside moving company involved with the move. Ensures that the office/workstation is presentable once the move is complete (floor vacuumed, garbage/recycling bin and name plate in place)
- Cleans out offices for departed staff. Ensures name plates have been removed/revised, all supplies removed from the office and returned to Purchasing. Furniture/office is inspected and repairs needed are reported to the Coordinator, Office Services Premises for action. Office/workstation to be left in a tidy condition
- Cleans up deficiencies reported in weekly walk around inspections
- Prepares and delivers start-up kits (supplies and NERP) prior to new hire arrival (supplies taken out of the packages and set up neatly in the office/workstation)
- Makes security access cards for new hires and/or provides replacements for lost cards
- Checks/stocks supplies including paper supply in copy rooms (am/pm)
- Delivers paper to copy rooms
- Checks/stocks supplies in boardrooms
- Escorts vendors when onsite to complete repairs etc.
- Completes pickup of boxes and binders (from LSA to internal areas)
- Delivery of Record Management files/boxes (from Records to LP’s)
- Required to perform other various tasks and duties on a rotational basis (i.e distribution and supplies duties)
Education and Experience
This position requires a high school diploma plus one year experience working in an office environment. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Time management and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and accomplish assigned tasks and effectively multi task
- Ability to work independently and be team player
- Computer skills (Microsoft, Outlook, Excel, Word, MCDM)
- Oral communication, customer service oriented and interpersonal skills needed to interact with a variety of individuals
- Ability to sort and classify information according to established methods
- Ability to operate hand tools in a safe manner; basic carpentry, mechanical and electrical knowledge an asset
- Ability to maintain focus and physical stamina to carry out work orders and remain optimistic under pressure
- Regular attendance and reliability; flexibility to work extra hours when required
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls please.