Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is growing its Osler Works – Disputes (OWD) team to enhance support to our disputes practice. We are looking for dynamic, motivated, high-energy, hard-working and career-minded people who would like to join a leading national Canadian litigation team.
Are you a self-starter, a dedicated team-player, have a passion for litigation and motivated to change traditional ways of legal service delivery? Perhaps you’re a litigation clerk or paralegal, or a lawyer looking for a career path outside of the traditional associate and partner path. Join our OWD team and work directly with our litigators providing support on our complex commercial litigation and class action hearings.
The successful candidate will support the team at all stages of litigation, with a particular focus on longer hearings, regulatory proceedings, arbitrations and trials. The main responsibilities will include:
- File organization and document support
- Drafting correspondence and court documents leveraging litigation software applications
- Supporting the development of timelines, trial aids, evidence summaries, witness briefs, cross-examination scripts
- Assisting with the preparation of hearing materials
- Filing documents and evidence
- Reviewing and summarizing transcripts, decisions and evidence
- Attending at virtual or live hearings with the hearing team to provide document and e-hearing support
Do you have what we’re looking for?
- Litigation experience (ideally experience with hearings), gained in a law firm, in a legal department, with a court or tribunal or in another government role
- A Law Clerk, Paralegal or Legal Administration diploma or JD (or equivalent) is preferred
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure and the courts, knowledge of or willingness to learn trial practice
- Previous experience with class actions and/or construction disputes an asset
- Project management qualifications an asset
- Superior organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work in a high-pressure and time-sensitive environment
- Strong team-player with a desire to be a part of a high-performing team
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn docketing software platforms (Intapp), document review software (Relativity) and other specific litigation applications (ACL, Caselines, Westlaw, Canlii, etc.)
- Available to work occasional overtime, including evenings and weekends as needed
How To Apply
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please apply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date, directly to our online application portal.
Please note that we are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, allowing for a remote and in-office environment.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.