Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is growing its Osler Works – Disputes (OWD) team to enhance support to our disputes practice. We are looking for dynamic, motivated, high-energy, hard-working and career-minded people who would like to join a leading national Canadian litigation team.
Are you a self-starter, a dedicated team-player, have a passion for litigation and motivated to change traditional ways of legal service delivery? Perhaps you’re a litigation clerk, a paralegal, or a lawyer looking for a career path outside of the traditional associate and partner path. Do you want to be a go-to litigation resource and work with our litigators and OWD lawyers on a broad spectrum of litigation matters? Join OWD and become an integral part of our team.
The main responsibilities will include:
- Perform general litigation support duties as needed, such as corresponding with clients, opposing counsel and other third parties on document management issues
- Reviewing and summarizing transcripts
- Drafting court documents such as pleadings, affidavits, motion materials, briefs for mediations, arbitrations and pretrials, orders, bills of costs/costs outlines and other dispute -related materials
- Assisting our OWD lawyers with document collection, review and production
- Attending examinations, mediations, hearings and client meetings as required
- Managing undertakings process through proprietary software
- Leading Small Claims; Simplified Rules, garnishment, lien or other small matters under direction from our lawyers
Do you have what we’re looking for?
- At least three years of litigation experience, gained in a law firm, in a legal department, with a court or tribunal or in another government role
- A Law Clerk, Paralegal, Legal Administration diploma or JD (or equivalent) is preferred
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure and the courts, knowledge of or willingness to learn court practice
- Superior communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to efficiently multi-task and prioritize competing demands under strict deadlines
- Superb attention to detail and ability to handle and protect confidential material
- Resourceful, proactive and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn docketing software platforms (Intapp), document review software (Relativity) and other specific litigation applications (ACL, Caselines, Westlaw, Canlii, etc.)
- Available to work occasional overtime, including evenings and weekends as needed
How To Apply
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please apply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date, directly to our online application portal. Please note that we are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, allowing for a remote and in-office environment.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures.
For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.
Any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.