Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our over 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver, and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management, and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path!
Osler is seeking an experienced Patent Prosecution Clerk to join our leading and growing Intellectual Property Department in the Ottawa office. This full-time position requires senior level patent prosecution experience. Knowledge of InProtech IP management database is beneficial.
Major Responsibilities & Duties:
- Maintain a comprehensive docketing, reminder, and bring-forward system to ensure that all deadlines and due dates associated with patent prosecution are met and that all relevant deadlines are brought to the attention of legal professionals.
- Communicate with USPTO and CIPO on behalf of clients and legal professionals regarding status, maintenance and advancement of patent examination and prosecution.
- Draft correspondence, letters, and memos for review by a legal professional.
- Communicate directly with clients such as reporting routine matters.
- Reporting PCT notices, opening files, invoices.
- Filing and reporting PCT/foreign applications (updating database with deadlines).
- Reporting exam, convention year, foreign OAs, working requirements and their subsequent reminders.
- Reporting notice of allowance, forwarding issued patents.
- Administering formality requirements.
- Processing requisitions, voluntary amendments, sequence listings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
An undergraduate degree or diploma is required, recent graduates will be considered. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may also be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Substantial knowledge of patent prosecution processes, including prosecuting patents in Canada, and instructing agents in foreign jurisdictions.
- Ability to obtain, clarify, present, and discuss information pertinent to assignment in a clear and concise manner.
- Proficient in MS (Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint) and InProtech database.
- Accuracy of work product and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and client service skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Advanced organizational skills.
- Teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various group; partnered with ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information.
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.