Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Reporting the Manager, Compensation & Benefits, the Payroll Specialist will be responsible for processing the Firm’s Canadian payroll across all offices, ensuring that all employees (approx. 1,000) are paid accurately and on time while complying with all federal and provincial legislation.
- Prepares all aspects of salary/hourly semi-monthly payrolls accurately and on time
- Ensures compliance with all provincial (Ontario, Alberta, Quebec, and British Columbia) and CRA legislation and other legal requirements
- Maintains current and accurate electronic employee records
- Preparation of year end activities including T-4s, government assessments, and reconciliations
- Calculates and submits all statutory remittances, as needed
- Ensures employee benefits are commenced on time and audited regularly
- Responds in a timely manner to all payroll related questions and assists with resolution to issues
- Calculates manual payments when required
- Maintains strong relationships with team members, and employees to quickly identify and resolve potential issues concerning payroll
- Responds to changing conditions and priorities and meets all deadlines.
- Plans and prioritizes a continuous list of tasks according to a hierarchy of importance
- Applies careful thought processes to difficult situations that may arise, consults with the appropriate authority, and acts decisively in implementing an appropriate course of action
- Ensures that confidential and sensitive data is protected by the security and privacy protocols of the Firm
- Maintains a professional demeanor and understanding the pressures and priorities that impact employees and other team members
- Performs other duties as required from time to time
Education and Experience
This position requires a community college diploma in business or a related discipline, and a minimum of 5 years work experience in a senior payroll role. Thorough knowledge of Ultimate Kronos Group (“UKG”), payroll system is required. Successful completion of the Canadian Payroll Association program is required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Thorough knowledge of UKG
- Knowledge of payroll procedures, including deductions and taxes
- Ability to develop thorough understanding of Firm policies and procedures related to payroll, benefit, and pension plans
- Extensive knowledge of governing Employment Standards legislation in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec
- Mid-to-advanced knowledge of Excel (V-lookup and pivot tables)
- Strong mathematical skills, and knowledge of basic accounting
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong computer and organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Resourceful and customer-service oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement will be in place for this role, with a requirement to work partially in the office and an opportunity to work remote.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls/emails please.
How To Apply