Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting Services, the Accounting Services Coordinator will be responsible for providing timely, efficient, and professional accounting services to the Firm.
- Provides accounting services such as processing cheque requisitions, accounts payable invoices, expense claims, cash receipts, petty cash claims, and cost recoveries
- Assesses the most effective payment method and initiates payment via cheque, wire transfer, EFT or credit card and follows specific processes for each method
- Records correctly various commodity taxes and requests tax registration numbers/documents from suppliers when needed
- Provide trust accounting services, including the processing and completion of trust transactions, by assisting the Senior Trust Accountant
- Adheres to specific, and differing, process for trust transactions that fall under the Law Society of Ontario and Law Society of British Columbia, including usage of different online banking software
- Responds to general inquiries from both internal and external sources about policies, procedures, deadlines, and status of accounting-related transactions while monitoring both Firm personal and shared Outlook email Inboxes
- Organizes filing and storage of related supporting documentation pursuant to Firm and external audit standards utilizing a combination of different software applications, such as ExpertImage and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Obeys strict internal control policies to mitigate internal and external risks facing the Firm
- Completes daily bank runs on a timely basis – makes deposits to Firm bank accounts, certifies cheques, and picks up mail or cash for petty cash replenishment
- Is able to work under pressure and meets tight deadlines while handling high volumes of transactions
- Maintains and reconciles petty cash fund, processes credit card payments
- Handles confidential materials and documents
- Performs other duties as required
Education and Experience
The position requires a Community College diploma in a business discipline and/or a minimum of four to five years of accounting experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Knowledge of computer programs, such as: Microsoft Suite – Excel, Word, Outlook and Teams, Aderant Expert – financial system used for posting daily transactions, Chrome River – processing expense claim transactions, Adobe Acrobat Pro – merging files for scanning/filing purposes and ExpertImage – storage and image tracking software
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills are required to communicate with a number of various contacts internally and externally, at varying levels with the organization(s)
- Organizational and time management skills are necessary to work with detailed-oriented tasks and to efficiently multi-task
- Attention to details and accuracy with numbers
- General knowledge of commodity taxes and recoverability rules
- Ability to productively work remotely, if required
- Bilingual in English and French would be an asset
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing date: November 12, 2021.
No agencies or phone calls please.