Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for a dedicated result-oriented Senior Administrative Assistant. With dual reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer and Chief Legal Talent Officer, provides a wide range of administrative and support duties, including handling sensitive information.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintains and monitors two busy calendars and exercises judgement and independence to support the efficient deliverables of a variety of administrative action items
- Organizes and coordinates meetings, including distributing meeting invitations, often with multiple parties (booking meeting rooms and arranging for IT resources and catering support in support of smooth and efficient meeting facilitation)
- Prepares meeting materials, such as PowerPoint presentations, reports and agendas, and ensures all necessary materials are distributed
- Co-ordinates and/or supports department related committee meetings, including Toronto’s Social Committee. Back-up support may also be required for United Way Committee initiatives
- Monitor’s email (prioritizing and flagging items for attention, taking action as requested)
- Proactively tracks deadlines and follows up while maintaining a clear focus on outstanding action items
- Prepares correspondence and documents (in Word and Excel) and posts information on intranet as directed
- Maintaining a well-organized internal filing system (electronic and paper)
- Coordinates budgets and monitors expenses for the Human Resources and Legal Talent departments
- Booking travel and accommodation arrangements. Reviews and processes expenses in a timely manner
- Acts as a point of contact to respond and redirect inquiries regarding talent management (Human Resources or Legal Talent)
- Provides administrative support as required to team members in the portfolio, including Partnership Administration and back-up to HR Admin Assistant
- Supports special projects (e.g., staff scholarship program) and assists with project co-ordination and execution as required
Education and Experience
- University degree or College diploma in Business Administration or related discipline
- Minimum of 3 years’ recent relevant administrative experience supporting a leadership team. Experience in a professional services environment would be an asset
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable
Knowledge and Skills
- Superior proficiency with computers including all Microsoft office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) in order to effectively manage calendars and produce high-quality, professional documents
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and exhibits a high degree of professionalism, quality of work, integrity, discretion and judgement as this role is exposed to confidential and sensitive matters
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent teamwork – ability to work with all Firm stakeholders and internal departments
- Superior ability to proactively prioritize and organize work and effectively manage multiple tasks with conflicting deadlines and changing priorities
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve problems and think creatively; strong detail orientation and demonstrated accuracy is essential in this role
- Basic accounting and math skills is required in order to prepare invoices, process expense claims and draft budgets
- Flexibility to work extra hours as required
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing date: December 10, 2021.
No agencies or phone calls please.