Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Working collaboratively with Senior Manager, Pricing, the Senior Pricing Analyst plays a key role in supporting and optimizing the firm’s pricing models and strategies. The position is responsible for providing financial and profitability analysis on business proposals, and supporting the pricing team in developing, analyzing and executing creative, workable pricing solutions in response to client pricing demands.
- Working closely with Client Development team and lawyers to assist with the pricing aspect of simple to medium complexity Request For Proposals (and play a support role in the complex ones)
- Developing Alternative Fee Arrangements (AFAs) and fee estimates and providing related financial analysis and pricing scenario modeling for Partners and the Billing Management Committee (BMC) to assist them in making key business decisions
- Supporting the enhancement of tools and processes to further improve efficiency, including systems to capture billing arrangements, monitor pricing performance, and tools to streamline budget and legal project management
- Supporting the development of processes / tools to evaluate profitability of various types of engagements
- Analyzing fee data of existing matters and developing budget templates for different matter types
- Supporting various projects in relation to client profitability and pricing initiatives which may include development of pre-priced packaged legal solutions, advising firm management in assessing long-term sustainability of various legal business models etc.
- Playing a large role in the annual client/matter rate renewal process
- Provide pricing-related training, coaching, and advice to Firm Management, our Partners and Associates
- Provide training and coaching to pricing analysts and coordinators
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree in a business discipline and a minimum of five years of progressive experience in finance-related field, including analytics in a law firm or other professional service industry. An accounting designation (CA/CGA/CMA) is a requirement. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong analytical skills to look beyond financial data / report and prepare concise and actionable insight to aid business decision making and risk assessment
- Excellent communication skills with a calm, but confident presence for direct engagement that builds trust with senior members of the Firm, including Partners
- Working knowledge of pricing, alternative fee arrangements, negotiation tactics and costing of services in the legal or professional services context
- Experience in supporting, coaching and influencing senior management and client-facing professionals on business strategy issues
- Able to work autonomously and manage multiple engagements with aggressive deadlines. Excellent time management and organisational skills in order to efficiently multi-task and prioritize are critical
- Self-starter and a proactive approach with a mindset of continuous innovation and improvement.
- Experience in project management is an asset
- Solid knowledge of financial analytical and reporting tools such as Excel (advanced), SQL, MS Access, ADERANT, and Microsoft SQL Analysis Services (SSAS) cubes
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
Closing Date: November 5, 2021.
No agencies or phone calls please.