Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
The Senior Pursuits Specialist will manage all aspects of the proposal process starting with the RFP assessment and client needs analysis to post-award debriefs with clients. They will collaborate with Firm partners, business development directors, and internal subject matter experts. They will also oversee the development and creation of highly customized, business proposals.
- Manage the proposal development lifecycle including coordinate and guide strategic proposal meetings/calls with key stakeholders to clarify an approach and gather sufficient internal information to customize proposals and presentations, prepare proposal work-back schedules, and ensure sufficient timelines are in place
- Write compelling, original content
- Provide counsel to the pursuit team on messaging, structure, content and ensuring that a thorough understanding of the client’s needs and the broader business context is reflected in responses
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to develop and communicate compelling fee models
- Proactively present ideas to continuously improve the proposal process from opportunity evaluation, strategy development, post-bid evaluation, best practices and firm wide education
- Coordinate workload and requests to ensure that all proposals are delivered in a timely and effective manner
- Evaluate opportunities and make recommendations regarding the go/no process
- Conduct post competition debriefs
- Proofread all documents for clarity and accuracy
- Maintain and contribute to content libraries
- Ensure all activities are tracked, measured and reported on
- Contribute to regular reporting on pursuits statistics
- Support initiatives related to practice group and lawyer business development planning including using a CRM system to update client and prospect lists, tracking activities and follow-up
- Support projects related to enhancing the Firm’s business development platform
- ·Have the ability to manage the pursuits team and resources during any absences of Director or Managers
- Provide oversight and coaching to junior team members on complex pursuits
- Maintain confidentiality of Firm, employee and client information
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
This position requires a university degree or college diploma, preferably in Marketing or Communications with a minimum of 5 years experience with proposal writing, editing, and formatting, within a professional services environment is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- General knowledge and understanding of how a law firm operates
- Advanced writing (highly structured, concise and persuasive) with extensive experience writing executive summaries
- Ability to clarify complex information and identify value propositions and differentiators
- Confident, proactive, and able to interact with all levels of management and legal professionals
- Willing to work overtime to meet proposal deadlines
- Personal integrity, discretion and a strong client service orientation is essential
- Extremely well organized with superb attention to detail and excellent time management skills
- Demonstrated self-starter and highly motivated to handle a fast-paced environment
- A team player who also works well independent
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office applications
To protect the health and safety of firm members and visitors and to comply with the recommendations of public health authorities, employment at Osler will be conditional on the candidate submitting evidence of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
How To Apply
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.