The CTF’s 68th Annual Tax Conference takes place at the Calgary TELUS Covention Centre from Sunday, November 27 to Tuesday, November 29, 2016. Osler’s Tax Department is represented at the conference, speaking on various panels and in workshops.
Monica Biringer to speak on Current Taxation Cases: A panel of experts with diverse backgrounds will discuss the impact and future applications of the legal principles that have emerged from recently decided cases, from the perspective of both taxpayers and tax authorities.
Joanne Vandale to speak on Commercial Vehicles – Select Issues in Defining Legal Relationships: An examination of the various legal relationships — for example, partnerships, joint ventures, cost-sharing agreements, bare trust, agency, syndicates, associations, society, and trusts — that exist in Canada and the specific tax implications of each.
Jack Silverson to speak on Issues Affecting Investments by Canadian Pension Plans in Private Equity, Infrastructure and Real Estate in Canada, U.S. and Europe: This session will include a discussion of the following:
- Commonly used structures and Canadian issues arising with respect to investments in Canadian private equity, infrastructure, and real estate;
- The impact of the potential tax measures described in the consultation document released by the Department of Finance on June 3, 2016 on commonly used structures for investments in Canadian private equity, infrastructure and real estate;
- Commonly used structures and Canadian and U.S. issues arising with respect to investments in U.S. private equity and infrastructure funds;
- Commonly used structures and issues arising with respect to investing in European private equity, infrastructure, and real estate; and
- The potential impact of BEPS on commonly used European Investment structures.