IFA’s Legal Symposium is designed by a task force of member volunteers with a particular emphasis on how legal and regulatory issues affect the everyday business operations of the franchise system.
Food Delivery Service Issues
Consumers have embraced the convenience and on-demand nature of third-party delivery apps or “aggregators” such as UberEats, DoorDash, SkipTheDishes and GrubHub. This Amazon-like shift in how consumers interact with the QSR and fast-casual food industry creates business opportunities and legal challenges for franchisors and franchisees.
- How do you select the right aggregator(s) for your system?
- What should the franchisor be negotiating with the aggregator for in the master services agreement and franchisee participation agreements?
- What changes need to be made to standard franchise agreements?
- Who should pay the aggregator’s commission fees (upwards to 30% of the order fee)?
- How does it impact fundamental contract terms such as territorial rights, gross sales and royalty payments?
- Should franchisee participation be voluntary or mandatory?
- Is there still a place for in-house delivery programs?
- Potential long-term impact on real estate needs of franchised and company units.
Speakers: Don Fox, CEO, Firehouse Subs; Andraya Frith, Partner, Franchise & Distribution, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt; Lindsay Morgan, Associate, Greenberg Traurig, LLP